Ground Beef Taco Burritos
When you want tacos but also want burritos – the struggle is real! What I do is make some taco stuffing and roll it up in a big beautiful burrito, that’s over-stuffed with flavor, texture and color! The great thing about this recipe is you can toss the ground beef with any extra vegetables you have laying around. I kept it simple and colorful by using red and orange bell peppers and some frozen corn that I thawed. Also, if you prefer not to use ground beef, you can totally make these with ground turkey, ground chicken, or even tofu, which I’ve totes tried and totes loved!
For the rice portion, I like to cook a big batch of the rice for the kids to eat the next day, but you can use any type of rice you have or for bonus time saving, use regular plain cooked rice you have from a leftover meal! Or hey, you can just completely skip the rice. Let’s be honest, all that really matters is that warm crispy tortilla, the melted cheese and that delicious taco stuffing flavored with salsa!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ an onion, small diced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 cup rice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 can black beans, rinsed/drained
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup salsa
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ cup red and orange bell peppers, chopped
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- Cooking spray
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 - 2 cups grated Mexican cheese blend
- Fresh cilantro
- Guacamole, salsa and sour cream for serving
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the olive oil, and sauté onions with salt and pepper until translucent.
- Add the tomato paste and the rice and mix until everything is well blended together, then add 1½ cup boiling water. Add paprika, cumin and the black beans and mix everything together.
- Bring the rice mixture to a boil, then simmer on low for 15 minutes until water is all absorbed and the rice is soft. Turn off the heat and let the steam continue to cook the rice for an additional 5 minutes
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil, then add the ground beef, season with salt and pepper and cook and crumble until completely browned. Drain any grease.
- Add salsa, paprika, garlic powder, and cumin and stir to combine. Add the bell peppers and corn and stir to combine until the vegetables soften. Transfer the taco stuffing to a dish.
- Use the same large skillet used to cook the taco stuffing and spray with cooking spray,
- Lay one tortilla on a flat surface, then layer with cheese, then rice, then the taco stuffing, then another light dusting for cheese along with fresh cilantro on top, if desired.
- Starting at that end, roll the tortilla up, folding in the sides.
- Place the burrito seam side down on the greased skillet and spray the top of the burrito with cooking spray. Gently turn the burrito to the other side after 2 minutes and continue to turn until it is golden and crispy on all sides.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Serve warm with guacamole, salsa and sour cream, if desired.