Garlic Butter Shrimp Spaghetti – as if you needed to hear anything else! Savory, succulent shrimp sizzling in a garlic butter sauce paired with a light and airy spaghetti – an easy and quick pasta dish for the weekday menu.
We all love pasta night in our house. I try to keep it exciting by switching the proteins and the switching the sauces every week, and this variation definitely enticed some cheers from my hubby and adoring kids. Garlic – good, butter – good, shrimp – oh-so-good! It’s the simplicity of the ingredients and the perfection of the Mediterranean flavors that makes the dish so enticing.
All you need to do is prepare the pasta, cook the shrimp, and throw it all together with some reserved pasta water and olive oil. I’ve seen recipes that use an entire stick of butter for cooking shrimp, but honestly, for 1 pound of shrimp, 2 tablespoons goes a long way. It still flavors the dish wonderfully and gives it a light buttery taste without going overboard on the calories. One serving is around 300 calories.
Low calorie garlic butter shrimp spaghetti
And if you’re afraid of all the inherent pasta calories that comes with this dish, I don’t blame you, cuz there’s a whole lot of it if you use regular white pasta. So if you’re watching your calorie intake or your carbs, opt for a whole grain pasta or low-carb variety. For us, we usually have a small bowl along with a salad, so it doesn’t feel guilty. I also like to keep meals traditional for the kids so I prefer using simple organic ingredients for them as much as possible, and nothing’s simpler than organic white pasta and buttah!
How to Make Garlic Butter Shrimp Spaghetti
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti, or pasta of choice, according to package instructions; drain well and reserve ½ cup of pasta water.
In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter, add the garlic and stir until fragrant and lightly golden, about 1-2 minutes. Then add shrimp, salt and pepper to taste and cook stirring occasionally, until shrimp is opaque pink, about 2-3 minutes.
Add cooked spaghetti to the skillet, along with reserved pasta water, olive oil, and parmesan cheese. Toss to combine lightly and garnish with parsley.
Top Tips to Make Garlic Butter Shrimp Spaghetti
- Cook the pasta al-dente.
- You can use frozen shrimp in this recipe, make sure they are fully defrosted before cooking.
- Garnish the finished dish with fresh parsley.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of pasta can you use in this dish?
I like making this dish with long pasta such as spaghetti or linguini, but you can use whatever you have to hand. Penne and shells would both work well. Use a whole grain pasta for extra fiber and to lower the calorie content.
What do you serve with shrimp pasta?
A healthy portion of this pasta dish is a great meal by itself, but I like to serve a smaller portion alongside a fresh green salad. If you fancy, some garlic bread on the side wouldn’t go a miss!
How long does shrimp pasta keep?
This pasta is best served straight out of the pan. If you have any leftovers, you can keep them in an airtight container in the fridge to enjoy the next day.
This is such a great pasta dish for a quick and easy weeknight meal. It’s family friendly and packed full of flavor!
More pasta recipes:
- Easy Baked Spaghetti
- Baked Pasta with Ground Turkey
- Arrabiata Pasta with Shrimp
- Healthy Shrimp Scampi
- Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats
- Cheese Stuffed Shells
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Garlic Butter Shrimp Spaghetti recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Garlic Butter Shrimp Spaghetti
- 8 oz spaghetti or pasta of choice
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp peeled deveined (I get mine from Certified Steak & Seafood)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook spaghetti, or pasta of choice, according to package instructions; drain well and reserve ½ cup of pasta water.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter, add the garlic and stir until fragrant and lightly golden, about 1-2 minutes
- Add shrimp, salt and pepper to taste and cook stirring occasionally, until shrimp is opaque pink, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked spaghetti to the skillet, along with reserved pasta water, olive oil, and parmesan cheese. Toss to combine lightly and garnish with parsley.