This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This easy peach crisp recipe is the most perfect summer dessert. Made with fresh juicy peaches and a sweet oat topping, it’s simple to prep and is best served with a scoop of ice cream.
Ingredients & substitutions
- Peaches: For the best results use fresh peaches. Slice them thickly so that they remain nice and juicy when baked.
- Sugar: We use granulated sugar in the filling and then brown sugar for the crisp topping. The brown sugar adds a nice rounded richness thanks to the molasses.
- Cornstarch: To thicken the juices in the peach filling.
- Lemon juice and cinnamon: For flavor. Lemon juice helps to balance out the sweetness and cinnamon adds subtle spicy notes.
- Oats: Use old fashioned or rolled oats for the toppings. These crisp up nicely and have a great chewy texture.
- Flour: Everyday all-purpose flour works best for the crisp topping.
- Butter: Use unsalted cold diced butter. Rub it into the flour and oats to help it hold together.
How to make peach crisp
Make the crisp topping
- Place the ingredients for the topping into a bowl.
- Whisk together using a fork. Then add cubed butter and incorporate it into the crisp topping
Assemble and bake
- Place the cut peaches in a baking dish.
- Top with the cornstarch, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle the crisp topping over the top.
- Bake until golden brown and the peaches are bubbly.
Tips for making the crisp
- Cut the peaches large. You can either slice them or chop them, but keeping them large helps them pop more in the dish after baking since they shrivel up in the heat.
- Use cold butter for the crisp. If you use warm butter, the topping will spread to much and it will be quite dense and wet rather than light and crumbly.
- Use a fork to combine the ingredients for the topping. You can use your hands, but the heat will start to melt the butter. A fork will keep the butter cold resulting in a crispy texture.
- Try adding in other fruits. Blueberries, blackberries or raspberries make an excellent addition to this peach crisp or you can swap the peaches for any of these fruits.
Frequently asked questions
Fresh peaces are definitely best for this dessert, but you can use canned or frozen ones in a pinch. If using canned, drain them well before using, and it’s best to use ones in juice rather than syrup. Frozen peaches should be thawed and drained before using as per the recipe.
Yes! If you want to make this easy peach dessert gluten-free, simply swap the flour for a 1:1 GF one, almond flour or oat flour, and be sure to use oats that are gluten-free certified.
This is delicious served warm out of the oven, but any leftovers can be kept in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. It can be enjoyed cold, or reheat it in the oven at 350F, with the top covered with foil, for around 20 minutes til warmed through.
The cooked crisp can also be frozen and reheated.
This easy peach crisp recipe is seriously the best! So simple and easy to make, it’s a great option for a crowd pleasing summer dessert.
More desserts to try:
- Mixed Berry Crisp
- Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- Almond Milk Rice Pudding
- Mint Chocolate Brownies
- Gluten-Free Apple Crisp
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Peach Crisp recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish or 7-inch x 11-inch baking dish.
- Place the peaches into the greased baking dish; add the sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and cinnamon on top, stir and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and salt. Cut in butter using a fork or your hands until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the peach mixture.
- Bake until the crisp topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, about 35-40 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream, if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.