This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Mexican-style Chicken Burrito Bowl is loaded with mixed greens, beans, corn, tomatoes, pan-seared chicken, Greek Yogurt and out-of-this-world homemade guacamole! I mean look at all those beautiful colors.
We’ve all tried the burrito bowls from Chipotle by now, and there’s just something so delicious and comforting about them. While I think Chipotle holds its own in being relatively healthy-ish for a fast food company, I always, like always, opt to re-make stuff at home with more fresh ingredients and being mindful of the nutritional content. And so of course, I made my own chicken burrito bowl at home.
This burrito bowl is totally customizable, so you can make it your own.
Don’t like red onions? Don’t use them.
Have store-bought guacamole? Throw it on there.
Want to use brown rice instead? Do it.
Wanna try it with shrimp instead of chicken? I strongly encourage it!
Bottom line is, you just need a a version of this chicken burrito bowl in your life asap one way or another.
How to make a chicken burrito bowl
Make the cilantro lime rice
- Heat the butter, cilantro and rice to a pot and stir.
- Add boiling water and cook until soft.
- Stir in the lime juice.
For the chicken
- Season the chicken breast.
- Grill on both sides until cooked through.
- Cut into slices.
To make the burrito bowl
- Divide your mixed greens, beans, rice and all of your other ingredients between two bowls and garnish.
Tips to make this recipe
- Make these bowls with cauliflower rice. My Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice works so well in these bowls, and is a great option if you are looking to cut back on carbs.
- Serve these bowls warm or cold. You can enjoy these burrito bowls as soon as you’ve made them, or, make the rice and chicken ahead of time and just build them when you need. They are a great option for meal prep.
- Use a different protein. You can use chicken thighs or breasts for this recipe, and shrimp or ground beef work great too. Make them meat free by using tofu or a plant-based ‘meat’.
- Let the chicken rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing it. This will help to keep the juices in the meat so that it is not dry.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a great recipe for weekly meal prep. You can cook both the chicken and the rice up to 4 days ahead of time and use them cold to build your salads. It’s a great option for weekly lunches.
These bowls are perfect because they are a whole meal in themselves. If you are super hungry you can easily add additional rice or serve with a tortilla.
This chicken burrito bowl is so easy to customize. You can add on any veggies that you have in your fridge, like bell peppers or cucumber and sour cream and salsa is a great addition. You can make these bowls whatever you like!
This is one of my favorite go to meals as it’s a great recipe to pull together with bits an pieces you have in your fridge. Full of healthy and fresh ingredients, it’s a tasty choice!
For more Tex Mex recipes:
- Taco Salad Meal Prep
- Grilled Fish Tacos
- Zucchini Enchiladas
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- Beef Taco Burritos
- Shrimp Fajita Bowls
If you’ve tried this feel good Chicken Burrito Bowl recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Chicken Burrito Bowl
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 3/4 cup water
- 2-3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tbsp butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 6 ounces chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- About 2 cups mixed greens
- 2 oz black beans
- 2 oz frozen corn thawed
- 1 roma tomato chopped
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt
- Red onions minced for garnish
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Jalapeno pepper sliced for garnish
For Cilantro Lime Rice:
- Wash the rice under cold water for a few minutes until the water runs clear.
- Heat the butter in a small sauce pan, then add the cilantro and the rice to the mixture and stir to blend for a minute.
- Add the boiling water to the small sauce pan, then let simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. When the water is dried and the rice is soft, add the lime juice and stir the rice to blend everything together.
For the Chicken
- Heat a medium skillet under medium-high heat. Coat the chicken with the seasoning and olive oil and transfer to the skillet. Cook the chicken until the juices run clear, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from heat and allow it to cool, then slice each breast into strips.
To Arrange the Burrito Bowl
- In medium size bowls, divide everything in half and layer in the bowls, starting with the mixed greens. Then, add the black beans, corn, cooked rice, tomatoes, pan-seared chicken, guacamole and Greek yogurt.
- Garnish with red onions, fresh cilantro and jalapeno, if you desire
- Enjoy cold or warm!