This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
by Homemade pita chips are so easy and quick to make and so much better than store bought! They make for a great snack or appetizer and are perfect for all of your dipping needs. Made with just a bread, olive oil and spices and baked in the oven, this pita chip recipe is a great option if you are entertaining a crowd.
These baked pita chips are so perfect for snacking and entertaining, I just know you’ll love them! Serve them with all of your favorite dips like Lebanese Hummus, Guacamole with Roasted Corn and Spinach Artichoke Dip.
How to make pita chips
Start with 3 loaves of pita bread. I buy mine from Middle Eastern stores, so they are much thinner than ones you’d find in mass grocery stores. If you’re using smaller ones, you can double the amount. Cut the pita into small triangles either using a large knife or kitchen shears. Don’t worry if they’re not even – they’re homemade pita chips after all!
Arrange the pita triangles in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet. Some overlapping is ok since they are so thin anyways.
Toss the pita with olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper right on the baking sheet. Feel free to add other spices like paprika, cumin or sumac. But I like keeping it simple so the baked pita chips are more versatile.
You can toss them in a large bowl if you prefer. However, tossing them on a baking tray way saves on clean-up. Bake the pita in a preheated oven until the pita is light golden brown. Be sure to flip the homemade pita chips halfway through baking.
Allow the pita chips cool completely before serving. You can cool them right on the baking sheet on the kitchen counter.
What to serve with pita chips
These homemade pita chips are perfect by themselves. But you can also serve them with so many other recipes. Try them with:
- Store bought or Homemade labneh recipe
- Creamy Feta Dip
- Avocado Hummus Dip Recipe
- Homemade Ranch Dip
- They are great to serve on top of salads, like fattoush, and soups like lentil soup for extra texture!
Tips for making homemade pita chips
- Ensure that each pita chip triangle is coated with the oil mix. Each chip should be evenly coated and seasoned and this will also help them to brown evenly and well.
- Separate the two sides of pita bread if the kind you’re using is too thick. This makes them thinner so they are more ideal for dipping, and it will also help them crisp better in the oven. Ideally though, buy the thin pita bread like I’m using if you can find it.
- Increase the temperature to 400
- Use high quality extra virgin olive oil. You’ll notice such a difference with the flavor of the pita chips, especially since we’re only tossing them with a couple ingredients.
- Don’t skip the cooling process. I recommend the pita chips cool completely before serving them. They become more sturdy and crispy as they cool. Don’t cover and store the pita until they are completely cooled.
Frequently asked questions
How do you store homemade pita chips?
Once the chips have completely cooled, you can store them in airtight containers at room temperature for up to 7 days.
Can you use different spice mixes?
I love the simplicity of the seasoning on these pita chips but I also love experimenting with lots of different spices too! Try using Italian seasoning, paprika, lemon pepper, or zaatar to keep with the Mediterranean flare.
Are pita chips a healthy snack?
If you have a chip craving but don’t want to ruin your healthy eating habits these homemade pita chips are perfect for you. They contain a lot less fat and salt as compared to regular chips and of course no added sugar. Choose a low-ingredient pita bread brea and you’ve got yourself a wholesome good-for-you snack!
More Mediterranean snacks:
It’s so quick and easy to make a big batch of these a homemade pita chips. I love that you can make them ahead of time for easy entertaining and adding to meals. They are perfect for a snack you can feel good about!
If you’ve tried this healthy Homemade Pita Chips recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Homemade Pita Chips
- 3 large pita bread rounds cut into small triangles
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Hummus or labneh for serving
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F (or 400°F if you're using thicker pita). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the pita into small triangles and place on the prepared baking sheet. Add the olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper and toss with your hands to combine. Arrange evenly on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the pita is lightly golden brown, about 10-15 minutes (the thicker pita will need more time), turning halfway through.
- Allow the pita chips cool completely before serving. Serve with your favorite dip or on top of a Mediterranean salad.