Simple Guacamole with Roasted CornJump To Recipe
- Serves: 6 servings
This recipe for simple guacamole is a fail-proof easy homemade recipe - the perfect appetizer for a party that is easy, tasty, healthy and customizable!
- Author: Yumna Jawad
Simple Guacamole with Roasted Corn
This simple guacamole recipe has been a staple recipe in my house for ever! In fact, anytime I have any ripe avocados, it just a given that it becomes guacamole!
And then I customize it depending on what I have on hand, or how fancy I wanna be. I brought up the fancy notch this time. I decided to grill some corn to add some poppin color and poppin flavor to my simple guacamole recipe.
I grilled these on my indoor grill with just a touch of cooking spray. But let me tell you that charred corn complements the smooth and creamy guacamole so well!
Into the bowl of guacamole is our usual suspects: the mashed avocado, finely chopped red onions (you can use a food processor if you’d like), lime juice, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped jalapeno and minced garlic – which I recently learned is actually not normally used in a traditional guacamole recipe. So that’s totally optional (I guess), but I’m Lebanese, so garlic is never an option haha!
The final outcome is a chunky flavorful simple guacamole that you an customize however you’d like! I cut up the grilled corn, added it to the bowl, threw some cotija cheese on top, and served it with these beautiful purple potato chips.
Ideas To Customize Your Simple Guacamole
- Add seeded chopped tomatoes – red or green will do
- Try it with some ground cumin
- No fresh garlic? Substitute garlic powder
- Swap out the chopped red onions for onion powder
- Use serano chili instead of jalapeono (but beware: it’s FOUR times more spicy!)
- Give it some extra heat with hot sauce
- Use a food processor for more smooth and creamy consistency
- Go for the toppings: grilled corn, cotija cheese, olives, tomatoes, pomegranate seeds, pine nuts…go nuts!
- Serve with purple potato chips (like I did), tortilla chips, baked pita chips, tacos, or quesadillas or plain and simply on your spoon (I hear you!)
We’re obsessed with this simple guacamole recipe in my house. It’s the perfect beginner recipe that is fail-proof every time you make it! You will love it and your family and guests will surely eat it up!
FYI: I have leftover tips in my notes below, but does anyone actually need that when it comes to guacamole?!
My Fave Recipes with this Simple Guacamole:
- 1 large ear of corn shucked
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tsp minced jalapeno
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 Tbsp cotija cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise. Remove the pit, scoop out the avocado flesh with a spoon and place it in a bowl. Mash with a fork until you reach your desired consistency
- Add the cilantro, red onion, garlic, jalapeño and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the grilled corn and the cotija cheese on top
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips, or cover with a plastic wrap directly on the guacamole and store in the fridge for up to 2 days
- Preparation: For best results, use very ripe avocados which tend to give in a little when squeezed
- Storage: Since avocado are sensitive, it’s best to eat the guacamole right after making it. If you’d like to store it in the fridge, cover it with a piece of plastic wrap pressed on top of the guacamole so it is touching it. This usually prevents it from browning. If some browning does occur, just scrape the browned layer off and serve.