This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sheet pan chicken fajitas are a great weeknight meal that the whole family will love! Packed with flavor, it’s a satisfying dish that requires only 10 minutes of prep time and is made on one sheet pan, making cleanup a breeze! Add this recipe to your meal rotation for a quick, easy, no-fuss option that delivers on taste.
Table of Contents
- Why you’ll love THESE SHEET PAN FAJITAS WITH CHICKEN
- What ingredients do you need for chicken fajitas?
- How do you make sheet pan chicken fajitas
- Tips for making chicken fajitas
- Popular substitutions & additions
- What to serve with HEALTHY SHEET PAN CHICKEN FAJITAS
- Frequently asked questions
- More sheet pan recipes
- More Tex Mex recipes
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas Recipe
Chicken fajitas are a family favorite meal here, and making them on a sheet pan couldn’t be easier! I love how everything is cooked together and cuts down on clean-up time. High in protein with a good amount of veggies and super fun to eat! Don’t let the simplicity of this recipe fool you. The juicy chicken and vibrant peppers, paired with the sweetness of onions, are all tossed in homemade fajita seasoning, yielding big flavors!
Why you’ll love THESE SHEET PAN FAJITAS WITH CHICKEN
- Perfect for busy weeknights. This one-pan wonder is so convenient for busy families. Toss everything on one sheet pan, pop it in the oven, and sit down to a stress-free dinner in no time!
- Versatile sheet-pan meal. Have picky eaters? You can easily customize these fajitas to satisfy personal tastes and preferences. Tone down the spice in the fajita seasoning, or omit the peppers if you don’t care for them. Add extra veggies or change up your protein. The options are endless!
- Plenty of serving options. Make a spread and let everyone build their tacos, bowls, salads, or wraps. Line up the chicken fajitas on the sheet pan, with warmed tortillas, and all the toppings. Add some lettuce, rice, or cauliflower rice, and let everyone make their meals. This option is great when feeding a crowd.
What ingredients do you need for chicken fajitas?
You can use a store-bought fajita mix or make your own using my blend. Feel free to play around with the amount of each of the ingredients. You’ll need the following:
- Chicken fajita seasoning blend: A blend of chili powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, onion powder, salt, and black pepper gives the chicken and veggies an excellent flavor. Double or triple this recipe and store the homemade fajita blend in a small mason jar to whip up chicken fajitas quickly the next time you need a fast meal.
- Chicken strips: Use skinless, boneless chicken breast and cut it into long strips. It helps to cut the chicken against the grain so they don’t shred when cooked in the pan with the other vegetables.
- Onions and peppers: I like to use a mixture of bell peppers to add color to the finished dish. You can use red onions or white onions, depending on your preference. Cut the veggies into long strips so they are easy to put in your tortilla with the finished dish.
- Oil: Used to coat the vegetables and chicken, allowing the seasonings to adhere better and preventing them from sticking to the pan while cooking. Oil also adds flavor and helps to brown and crisp the chicken and veggies.
How do you make sheet pan chicken fajitas
This meal is incredibly easy to whip up and only requires a few ingredients and simple steps. This sheet pan chicken fajitas recipe includes a homemade fajita seasoning blend. To cut time during prep, you can make this ahead of time and store it until ready to season. Once you have the seasoning done, it’s just a matter of tossing the chicken and veggies together and baking them to golden tender perfection.
- Add all of the fajita seasoning spices to a small bowl.
- Mix well.
How to make Sheet Pan chicken fajitas
- Place the chicken, peppers, onions, and garlic on a sheet pan. Drizzle with oil.
- Sprinkle fajita seasoning evenly over the chicken and vegetables.
- Toss everything together to coat evenly and spread in a single layer.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked thoroughly and the veggies are tender, tossing once halfway through cooking time.
Tips for making chicken fajitas
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper or foil for easy clean-up. I used a non-stick pan that is easy to clean up, but usually, I make it even faster by lining the baking sheet. The high cook temp can caramelize some of the veggies on the pan, making scrubbing them out a pain.
- Spread the chicken and vegetables into one even layer on the baking sheet. This will ensure even cooking.
- Slice the chicken and veggies into similar sizes. They will cook more evenly and be easier to serve in the tortillas. Using long thin shapes is an easy way to scoop onto tortillas.
- Check that your spices aren’t stale. If you are making my fajita seasoning, check your spices for freshness by rubbing a little between your fingers, and it should release an aroma. If they don’t, time to buy some fresh spices!
- Easily warm tortillas. Wrap your tortillas tightly in foil and pop them in the hot oven next to the fajitas during the last five minutes of cook time to warm them up quickly.
Popular substitutions & additions
- Change up the protein: True, it won’t be chicken fajitas, but you can apply the same concept and make shrimp fajitas or steak fajitas. You can even make vegan fajitas by using tofu or tempeh.
- Bump up the veggies: Add sliced zucchini, yellow squash, or cherry tomatoes to the sheet pan for an extra serving of vegetables.
- Toppings: A simple lime wedge, avocado slice, and fresh cilantro is always a classic choice. But you can go crazy with toppings. Top with sour cream, cotija cheese, salsa, guacamole, corn salsa, and even fresh jalapeno slices for a nice kick of flavor.
- Skip the tortilla: Make a lettuce wrap instead and use butter, iceberg, or romaine lettuce to hold the fajitas together, or make a chicken fajita bowl instead!
What to serve with HEALTHY SHEET PAN CHICKEN FAJITAS
- Creamy Refried Beans
- Black Bean Salsa
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Avocado Crema
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
Frequently asked questions
These fajitas are great by themselves. I like to top them with avocado and cilantro to add freshness. You can serve them alongside a side salad or add other toppings like sour cream, guacamole, or salsa.
These fajitas are spicy but not hot – they are spicy in flavor but won’t burn your mouth! If you like, you can reduce the amount of chili pepper if you are sensitive to heat.
By baking chicken fajitas on a sheet pan, you reduce the hands-on time during cooking, meaning you can get on with other things! You can make these on the stovetop, but you must keep your eye on them and toss them frequently. Cooking everything on one sheet pan also reduces clean-up time, which is never bad!
When you need dinner on the table in a hurry with minimum fuss, fajitas are always a winner! My kids love building their fajitas and having fun with the toppings! Making it on a sheet pan makes a delicious dinner happen quicker!
More sheet pan recipes
More Tex Mex recipes
- Taco Salad Meal Prep
- Tex Mex Breakfast Bowl
- Mexican Street Tacos
- Beef Taco Burritos
- Walnut Tacos
- Chicken Taco Cups
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced into thick strips
- 3 bell peppers sliced into strips
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Flour tortillas
- Lime wedges
- Fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the chicken, peppers, onions, garlic and olive oil on the baking sheet.
- Combine the ingredients for the seasoning in a small bowl, then sprinkle evenly over the chicken and vegetable mixture on the baking sheet.
- Toss everything together with tongs or your hands to evenly coat. Spread into an even layer.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, tossing once halfway through, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, tightly wrap a stack of tortillas in foil and place it on the baking sheet with the fajita mixture to warm them.
- Serve the fajitas with the warmed tortillas, along with lime juice, cilantro, and sliced avocados, if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.