These chicken fajitas are baked in the oven on a sheet pan for a fuss free family meal that is full of flavor. Made with an easy homemade fajita seasoning.
Sheet pan chicken fajitas are a great weeknight meal that the whole family will love! Quick and easy to make with homemade seasoning, this high protein meal is so delicious and yet requires less than 10 minutes prep time. Best part is the clean up is a cinch since it’s all made in one pan.
Chicken fajitas are a family favorite meal here, and making them on a sheet pan couldn’t be easier! I love how everything is cooked all together and cuts down on clean up time. High in protein with a good amount of veggies and super fun to eat!
What ingredients do you need for chicken fajitas?
You can use a store-bought fajita mix or you can easily make your own using my blend. Feel free to play around with the amount of each of the ingredients. You’ll need:
- Chili powder
- Onion powder
- Salt and black pepper
- Chicken strips – use skinless, boneless chicken breast and cut it into long strips. It helps to cut the chicken against the grain so that they don’t shred quickly when cooked in the pan with the other vegetables.
- Onions and peppers – I like to use a mixture of bell peppers to add color to the finished dish. You can use red onions or white onions depending on your preference. Cut the veggies into long strips so that they are easy to put in your tortilla with the finished dish.
How do you make sheet pan chicken fajitas
Place the chicken and veggies onto a baking sheet and sprinkle over the fajita seasoning. Add the olive oil on top. Then toss everything together with your hands and spread into an even layer, trying to keep the chicken somewhat spread apart as much as possible. Then pop it in the oven until the chicken is cooked through.
During the last few minutes of baking time, wrap the tortillas in foil and warm in the oven. When the sheet pan chicken fajitas are cooked, the chicken will be juicy and tender and the vegetables will be slightly charred and caramelized. Then you’re ready to add to your favorite tortillas and serve with some toppings!
Tips for making chicken fajitas
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper or foil for easy clean-up. I used a non-stick pan that is easy to clean-up, but usually I make it even faster by lining the baking sheet. The high cook temp can caramelize some of the veggies right on the pan, making scrubbing them out a pain.
- Spread the chicken and vegetables into one even layer on the baking sheet. This will help everything to cook evenly. Be sure the seasoning is coating everything by tossing it with your hands or with tongs.
- Slice the chicken and veggies into similar sizes. They will cook more evenly and be easier to place into the tortillas to serve. Use thin long shapes is an easy way to scoop onto tortillas without leftover veggies on the pan
- Check that your spices aren’t stale. If you are making my fajita seasoning, check your spices for freshness by rubbing a little between your fingers and it should release an aroma. If they don’t, time to buy some more!
Frequently asked questions
What do you serve with fajitas?
These fajitas are great by themselves, I like to stop them with avocado and cilantro to add freshness. You can serve them alongside a side salad or add other toppings like sour cream, guacamole or salsa.
Are these fajitas spicy?
These fajitas are spicy but not hot – they are spicy in flavor but won’t burn your mouth off! If you like, you can reduce the amount of chili pepper if you are sensitive to heat.
Why make fajitas on a sheet pan?
By baking the fajitas in the oven, you are reducing the hands on time during cooking meaning you can get on with other things! You can make these on the stovetop, but you will have to keep keep your eye and toss pretty frequently. Cooking everything on one sheet pan also cuts down on clean up time which is never a bad thing!
More sheet pan recipes
More Tex Mex recipes
When you need dinner on the table in a hurry with minimal fuss, fajitas are always a winner! My kids love building their own fajitas and having fun with the toppings! Making it on a sheet pan just makes a delicious dinner happen quicker!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced into thick strips
- 3 bell peppers cored and sliced into strips
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Flour tortillas
- Lime wedges
- Fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken, peppers, onions, garlic and olive oil on the baking sheet.
- Combine the ingredients for the seasoning in a small bowl, then sprinkle evenly over the chicken and vegetable mixture on the baking sheet.
- Toss everything together with tongs or your hands to evenly coat. Spread into an even layer, ensuring that the chicken strips are on top of the vegetables and overlapping each other
- Cook in the preheated oven, tossing once halfway through cooking, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Place tortillas in foil and wrap tightly; and warm in oven during last 5 minutes of the fajitas cooking.
- Serve the fajitas with the warmed tortillas, along with lime juice, cilantro, and sliced avocados, if desired.