This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Avocado crema is exactly what you would expect it to be, a smooth, creamy avocado sauce with a pop of fresh lime. This avocado crema is made with a handful of ingredients with a Greek yogurt base and is one of the easiest condiments you can make. This luscious cream sauce is perfect for spooning over all your favorite Mexican dishes and is also versatile enough to use with other recipes.
Table of Contents
Avocado crema is like smooth, mild guacamole usually made with sour cream, but I’ve substituted it with yogurt here. The zingy lime flavor makes crema makes it the perfect complement to rich recipes that need an acidic contrast. Whether it’s added to tacos, burritos, or fajita bowls, you’ll love how flavorful this avocado cream sauce is.
Why you’ll love this easy avocado crema
- Just 4 main ingredients. This Mexican avocado cream sauce whips up in a food processor with just avocados, Greek yogurt, lime, and garlic. Season to taste, and you have a ridiculously easy condiment to add to all your recipes.
- Best texture and flavor. The avocado crema has the most satisfying mouthfeel with an incredible silky consistency, and the pop of citrus takes it to new heights! Adding this sauce to well-seasoned dishes is a great way to balance richness with contrasting freshness.
- Versatile for any cuisine. While this sauce is more commonly a topping over Mexican food, don’t let that keep you from adding it to other recipes! Try it on a veggie bean burger, for dipping air fried veggies and butternut squash fries, or spreading it on a white bean sandwich.
Ingredients to make avocado crema
- Avocados: Use ripe avocados for the best consistency and flavor. If underripe, toss in a paper bag with bananas to ripen within a day or two.
- Greek yogurt: I love using Greek yogurt because it’s thick and has a tanginess to it, just like sour cream. Any unflavored yogurt can be used, but it won’t be nearly as thick and creamy as Greek yogurt.
- Lime: To make sure you get the juice you need, choose limes that feel smoother and relatively thin-skinned—these are guaranteed to be the juiciest!
- Garlic: Fresh garlic is going to give you the best flavor, but if you’re in a pinch, feel free to use garlic powder.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
How to make avocado crema
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth with no lumps.
- Scrap down the sides as needed until smooth and creamy. Enjoy immediately or store covered in the fridge.
Tips for making avocado cream sauce
- Use a food processor or blender for the best consistency. If you don’t have either, you can just use a fork to mash the avocado really well and mix it with the remaining ingredients, but blending it creates the most smooth and creamy texture.
- Make it ahead of time. Planning a recipe later in the week that would go great with a drizzle of avocado crema? Blend together this recipe a few days before for a quick addition and to use throughout the week.
- Use ripe avocados. Choose ripe avocados to ensure that signature creamy consistency. If underripe, they may not blend as well and leave chunks of avocado throughout. When picking your avocado, look for ones with dark green skin that are soft but not mushy.
Popular substitutions & additions
- Use sour cream instead of Greek yogurt. Traditionally avocado crema is made with sour cream anyways. I like using Greek yogurt because it has a similar texture to sour cream, with less fat and more protein, but either one works!
- Add some heat. You can blend some jalapeno peppers into the crema for a little kick, or you can also blend some crushed red pepper or cayenne pepper.
- Add fresh herbs. Cilantro and parsley would pair perfectly with the fresh earthy avocado. Switch it up depending on what you serve the crema with.
- Make it thinner. This crema is thick and almost spreadable, but you can add in an extra splash of citrus and yogurt to thin it out just a bit to drizzle over tacos or nachos.
What to eat with lime avocado crema
- Avocado Burger
- Sheet Pan Nachos
- Easy Beef Tacos
- Zucchini Enchiladas
- Southwest Breakfast Burrito
- Grilled Fish Tacos
- Baked French Fries
- Crispy Cauliflower Bites
How to store avocado crema
Store avocado crema in an airtight container in the fridge.
How long will avocado cream sauce last in the fridge?
Store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Add it to a squeeze bottle for a quick condiment to drizzle on.
Can i freeze avocado crema with Greek yogurt?
You can freeze avocado crema in small batches by adding it to small zip-top bags, pressing the bag flat to remove all the air, and storing it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
Frequently asked questions
My recipe for avocado crema blends avocados into a creamy sauce with lime, yogurt, garlic, salt, and pepper. It’s perfect for topping tacos, burritos, for dipping vegetables and fries, and spreading on sandwiches and burgers.
This avocado sauce can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days in advance.
The lime in this sauce helps to prevent the avocado from browning too quickly. To ensure that there is no browning while storing in the fridge, press a piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the avocado crema.
This easy-to-make avocado crema recipe combines avocados, lime, garlic, and Greek yogurt into a cool, tangy sauce. It’s a quick go-to condiment to add to any recipe that will add an incredible velvety mouthfeel to every bite.
More sauce recipes:
- Lebanese Sauce (Toum)
- Tahini Sauce
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
- Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
- Marinara Sauce
- Strawberry Sauce
- Harissa Paste
- Spicy Mayo
If you try this feel good Avocado Crema recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth with no lumps, scraping sides down as needed.
- Serve as desired and transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.