This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Quick to prep, this one pan chicken and potatoes is a great go-to for a simple family meal. Seasoned chicken thighs and drumsticks are roasted with potatoes and it is totally effortless to make. The chicken comes out perfectly juicy and clean up is a breeze!
Ingredients to make the recipe
- Chicken: I’m using a mixture of bone-in chicken thighs and drumsticks which make the dish really flavorful and juicy. You can use chicken breast, but the oven time should be reduced and you may need to cut the potatoes smaller to cook quicker.
- Potatoes: You can use any types of potatoes with this dish. I love throwing in baby potatoes and cutting them in half or quarter to cook evenly.
- Sauce: The sauce is made up of olive oil, lemon juice, 7 Spice, paprika, salt and pepper. Whisk them well together until emulsified. You can switch out the spices if you’d like.
RECIPE VIDEO TUTORIAL
How to make chicken and potatoes in one pan
- Place the chicken in a baking dish large enough for it and the potatoes. Drizzle the sauce on top.
- Add the cut potatoes to the baking dish.
- Mix everything together with your hands until it’s all well coated with the sauce. Then, bake until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender.
Tips for making the recipe
- Pat the potatoes and chicken dry before adding them to the dish. Removing excess moisture will help everything crisp up, rather than steam, when it roasts.
- Use skin on chicken thighs. The skin will not only crisp up, but it will also protect the meat from drying out. My kids are huge fans!
- Use your hands to coat the chicken and potatoes in the sauce. This will ensure that everything is well coated and covered with flavor. The oil in the sauce will also help to get those crispy edges.
- Let the chicken rest for at least 5 minutes before serving. Resting meats before serving allows the juices to redistribute and each bite will be more tender, flavorful and juicy.
Frequently asked questions
I found that I didn’t need to marinate the chicken before cooking it, but you absolutely can if you prefer, or if you want to get ahead of things. Coat the chicken and potatoes in the sauce, then cover it with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. I wouldn’t marinate the chicken for any longer that a couple of hours as the acid in the sauce may start to break down the meat.
These chicken and potatoes are best served as soon as they are made, but leftovers will keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days. Leftover chicken can be served cold with a salad, or everything can be re-heated in the oven at 350°F for 20 minutes or so until warmed through.
This is such a great recipe when you want something super tasty but don’t have hours of time spare to prep. This one pan chicken is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner and at the same time is fancy enough to serve to guests. I just know that you’ll love this family recipe as much as my family does!
More chicken recipes:
- Spatchcock Chicken
- Pickled Chicken Tenders
- Chicken Stuffed with Broccoli and Cheese
- Healthy Chicken Tenders
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- Butter Chicken Recipe
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good One Pan Chicken & Potatoes recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
One Pan Chicken and Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Dry the chicken and potatoes well with a paper towel and place on a 9 x 13 oven-safe rimmed baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, 7 Spice, paprika, salt and pepper. Drizzle over the chicken in the pan. Add the potatoes and use your hands to evenly coat the chicken and potatoes with the sauce.
- Bake uncovered for 55-65 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender and the chicken is cooked through. Broil for 3-5 more minutes if needed for a golden brown color.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.