This quick and easy broccoli cheese stuffed chicken is a great low carb and keto friendly meal. Serve it with your favorite sides for a healthy family dinner.
If you are bored of serving the same chicken recipes for dinner, you are going to love this broccoli and cheese stiffed chicken recipe! Quick enough to make for an easy weeknight meal, these keto stuffed chicken breasts come out wonderfully juicy and succulent every single time!
Ingredients for broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken
- Chicken: Use skinless and boneless chicken breasts for this recipe and make sure they are thick, since you’ll need to make a slit in the center.
- Seasonings: Oregano, paprika, salt and pepper. Feel free to switch it up!
- Oil: For cooking. I like to use olive oil, but canola or vegetable will both work well.
For the filling
- Broccoli: Broccoli is a great source of fiber and protein as well as a lot of vitamins and minerals.
- Cheddar cheese: I like to use a strong cheddar cheese for flavor, but you can use mild or another type of cheese if you prefer.
- Sour cream: For a nice creamy filling. I use full fat as it’s much richer in flavor, but you can use a low fat variety if you prefer.
- Seasonings: Garlic powder and mustard powder to complement the seasonings on the outside of the chicken.
How to make stuffed chicken
- With a sharp knife, make a pocket in each chicken breast right in the middle.
- Season the chicken all over with the herbs and spices.
- Mix together the filling and spoon it into each chicken breast.
- Secure the chicken with toothpicks.
- Sear the chicken breasts on each side on the stovetop just enough to give it some color.
- Bake in the oven until cooked through.
Tips for making stuffed chicken
- Pat the excess moisture off of the breasts and let them come up to room temperature before cooking. Any excess moisture will cause the chicken to steam and dry out. Room temperature chicken will cook more evenly.
- Don’t cut the chicken breasts all the way through. If you do, the filling will ooze out during cooking. Cut carefully and just enough to make a pocket in the middle of each breast.
- Make this recipe in a cast iron or other oven proof skillet. This way you can easily transfer from stovetop to oven. If you don’t have one, you can transfer the chicken breasts to an oven proof dish once you have cooked them on the stovetop.
- Use an instant read thermometer to check that your chicken is cooked. Cooked chicken should register at 165F. It’s the easiest way to check for doneness without have to cut into the chicken breasts.
Frequently asked questions
One of the main ways to guarantee juicy chicken is to sear it on a skillet before cooking it through in the oven at a lower temperature. This helps to lock in the juices, and cooking it in the oven at a slightly lower temperature will mean that you are less likely to overcook it.
This chicken is best enjoyed as soon as you’ve made it. If you like, you can stuff the chicken breasts the day before and keep them covered in the fridge.
If you do have leftovers, they will keep in the fridge for 4 days and can be reheated in the oven.
More chicken recipes
- Thai Peanut Chicken Stir Fry
- Mediterranean Stuffed Chicken
- Chicken Taco Cups
- Oven Baked Chicken Breast
- Ground Chicken Burgers
- Chicken Fajita Pasta
If you’ve tried this feel good Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- 1 ½ pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts (3-4 chicken breasts)
- 1 ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the filling
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried mustard powder
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Make a horizontal slit in the thickest part of the chicken breast to create a pocket, making sure not to cut all the way through.
- Season the chicken breast with oregano, paprika, salt and pepper and use your hands to rub the seasoning on both sides of the chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the broccoli, cheddar cheese, sour cream, garlic powder and mustard powder. Stuff the mixture evenly inside the chicken breast. Use a couple toothpicks to close each pocket.
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet or cast iron skillet, add the stuffed chicken and sear until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven uncovered and bake until cooked through, about 15-18 minutes.