This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This healthy low carb dinner is so delicious and simple to make! Mediterranean stuffed chicken is a quick and easy weeknight meal that is ready to serve in around 30 minutes and it’s loaded with fresh and vibrant flavors.
Ingredients to make stuffed chicken
- Chicken breasts: Use skinless boneless thick breasts for this recipe. Make sure to pat them dry before adding the seasoning.
- Seasonings: Oregano, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Spinach: I love the pop of color that the spinach adds as well as being a great source of vitamins and minerals.
- Feta cheese: Feta is a Greek cheese made of sheep milk. It has a great rich and tangy flavor.
- Roasted red peppers: For ease and convenience I like to use jarred roasted peppers in this recipe.
- Basil: Fresh basil adds a nice herby quality to the stuffing mixture.
- Kalamata olives: I love to use kalamata olives in any Mediterranean style dishes. They add a great texture and salty flavor.
- Garlic: Use fresh garlic cloves for the best flavor.
- Olive oil: For cooking. I like to use olive oil for flavor but avocado or canola will also work well.
How to make stuffed chicken
Place the ingredients for the stuffing in a bowl and combine. It helps to chop everything small to make it easier to combine it all.
- Create a pocket in each chicken breast using kitchen sheers or a paring knife.
- Season the chicken all over and don’t forget the inside as well.
- Place the mixture inside each breast and secure with toothpicks.
Sear the breasts on the stovetop before baking in the oven and serving.
Tips for stuffing chicken
- Pat the chicken dry before adding the spice rub. Use paper towels to remove any excess moisture from the chicken. This will allow the outside of the chicken to have a wonderful brown crisp.
- Use frozen spinach if you prefer. It works well with frozen spinach, but make sure to thaw completely and drain any excess liquid.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan. If you add all the chicken in one skillet, you may end up steaming the chicken rather than searing it. So, make sure to leave enough space around each chicken breast for proper browning.
- Use an instant-read thermometer for best results. It should ready 165°F for the ideal temperature, and that way the chicken is not undercooked or overly dry.
Frequently asked questions
This recipe will work really well with most veggie, potato and salad side dishes. Try it with:
Cauliflower Fried Rice
Avocado Caprese Salad
Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
Mediterranean Potato Salad
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
You can make the stuffing mixture two to three days ahead of time and keep it covered in the fridge. You can stuff the breasts earlier in the day and keep them covered and chilled until you are ready to cook them.
These chicken breasts are best served as soon as they are cooked, but if you have leftovers they will keep refrigerated for up to 3 days. You can reheat them covered in the oven at 200°F for about 20 minutes.
Yes, you can stuff these chicken breasts and then freeze them for make ahead meals. Defrost them in the fridge overnight before cooking. If you can, allow the chicken to come to room temperature before cooking them.
More chicken recipes to try
- Chicken Taco Cups
- How to Make Chicken Stock
- Oven Baked Chicken Breast
- Coconut Curry Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Thai Peanut Chicken Stir Fry
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Mediterranean Stuffed Chicken recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then please come back to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Mediterranean Stuffed Chicken
- 4 8- ounce skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup baby spinach chopped
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons kalamata olives
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Make a horizontal slit in the thickest part of the chicken breast to create a pocket, making sure not to cut all the way through.
- Season the chicken breast with oregano, paprika, salt and pepper and use your hands to rub the seasoning on both sides of the chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the spinach, feta cheese, roasted red peppers, basil, olives, garlic and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Stuff the mixture evenly inside the chicken breast. Use a couple toothpicks to close each pocket.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet or cast iron skillet, add the stuffed chicken and sear until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven uncovered and bake until cooked through, about 15-18 minutes.