This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These ground chicken burgers are a great addition to any cookout, and easy and quick enough to serve as a weeknight family meal. Wonderfully seasoned, they are loaded full of flavor and perfect for any summer feast!
How to make homemade chicken burgers
- In a medium bowl, add all of the ingredients and mix together until well combined, being careful not to overmix. It helps to use your hands to make sure the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Form the mixture into 4-6 equal patties, depending on how large you’d like them.
- Cook the chicken burgers on the preheated grill, flipping halfway through. You want to cook until the patties are golden brown and cooked through.
- Then you’re ready to assemble the chicken burgers with hamburger buns and toppings of choice.
Tips for making chicken burgers
- Press down in the middle of each patty with your thumb. This will help the burgers to cook evenly through and avoid shrinking.
- Use your hands to mix the the patties. It’s a little messier but the ingredients will combine much easier this way. You can wear tight fitting plastic cloves to keep your hands clean.
- Don’t over mix the burger mixture. Everything should be just combined. If you over mix, the burgers can become tough and chewy.
- Once on the grill, don’t flatten the burger with a spatula. When you do this the meat will lose some of its juices. Just flip them, don’t be tempted to press them down.
Frequently asked questions
You can make the burger mix a day ahead of time and keep it covered in the fridge until you are ready to use it. Let the mixture come to room temperature before you shape and cook the patties.
Yes, you can freeze them before or after cooking for up to 3 months. To freeze, stack them between wax or parchment paper in a freezer-safe container. Alternatively, you can freeze them on a baking sheet, then place them all together in a ziplock bag. To re-heat, thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat on the stovetop or in the oven.
Yes! I prefer to grill them outdoors on in a grill pan on the stovetop, but you can bake them in the oven too. Place them on a baking sheet and place in a preheated oven at 400F for about 20 minutes.
More burger recipes
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Chicken Burgers recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Ground Chicken Burgers
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (vegan or regular)
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Hamburger buns for serving
- Lettuce tomato and red onions, for serving
- In a medium bowl, add ground chicken, breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, onions, parsley, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper. Use your hands to combine all the ingredients together until blended, but don’t over mix.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat and oil the grates.
- Form the mixture into 4-6 equal patties. Press down in the middle of each patty with your thumb to ensure even cooking of the chicken burgers.
- Cook the chicken burgers on the preheated grill until the internal temperature is 165F, about 10 minutes total, flipping halfway through.
- Assemble the chicken burgers with hamburger buns and toppings of choice.
- Instead of mayonnaise, you can use sour cream or one egg. I haven’t tried either of them, but they will help serve the purpose of the mayonnaise, which is to bind the patty.
- Instead of breadcrumbs, you can use all-purpose flour.
- To make it gluten-free, you can use quick oats, almond flour or panko breadcrumbs.