This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This homemade ranch dip is all you need for dipping your fresh vegetables and potato chips. It’s simple to make with sour cream, Greek yogurt for some added protein, and some herbs and seasoning. Skip the packaged stuff and spend a couple minutes making the homemade version instead!
How to make homemade ranch dip
Place everything in a small bowl and use a spoon to combine until it’s well blended, with no watery parts or chunks of seasoning. Once it’s all smooth and combined, you transfer it to a smaller dip bowl or wipe down the sides of the one used for mixing.
Serve this with carrots and cucumbers or even over cooked vegetables as a dreamy sauce (you can thin it out with some water if needed). Low in fat and calories, it is going to become one of your go-to recipes when you are serving dips and snacks.
Tips for making homemade ranch
- Dry the herbs well and chop finely. I usually like to use one fresh herb, either chives or dill or if I’m in a pinch, even parsley. But whatever you use make sure it’s dry and fine so it blends well.
- Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning. I love the balance of tang, herbs and saltiness here, but I still recommend you taste as you mix. And make sure to taste it with a vegetable, not just by dipping your pinky in. 😉
- Use lemon instead of apple cider vinegar if needed. It helps to give it the tang that ranch dip is known for.
Frequently Asked Questions
This dip has a pretty good shelf life and it will keep well in the fridge for up to 7 days. Place the dip in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap to keep it fresh. You can serve it straight from the fridge so it’s the perfect recipe to have to hand.
You can either serve this as a dip or as a salad dressing. It’s perfect to serve with a crudite platter with lots of fresh chopped veggies and it of course works great with chips and breadsticks if you prefer. It’s perfect drizzled over a chopped salad or even dip your fries in it!
The addition of the Greek yogurt mean that this dip has all of the flavor that you, but with added protein and less fat. Each serving is around 50 calories with only 2g of fat. I made this with full fat Greek yogurt and sour cream as it’s richer in flavor, but you can low fat if you prefer.
The herbs and spices in this homemade ranch dip include a good balance of flavors and give the dish an amazingly fresh kick. The fresh chives is a real standout and helps to freshen the dip as well. It’s such a great dip for all your healthy snacking!
For more dips, check out:
- Feta Dip
- Homemade French Onion Dip
- Best Hummus
- Baba Ganoush
- White Bean Hummus
- Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Homemade Ranch Dip recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Homemade Ranch Dip
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Vegetables for serving
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl until well blended.
- Transfer to a smaller serving bowl and serve with your favorite vegetables.
- You can use all sour cream or all Greek yogurt if you like. I like the balance between the two.
- Substitute lemon juice instead of apple cider vinegar
- Substitute fresh dill for fresh chives