Air Fryer Chicken Wings are a healthier way to prepare wings without deep frying or a long oven cook time. They're crisp on the outside and perfectly tender
What’s the great thing about air fryer chicken wings? Wings are one of those fried recipes that’s difficult to replicate in the oven. So if you’re looking for a healthier way to chicken eat wings, the air fryer method is your best bet. That’s because the speed and temperature of the air circulating in the air fryer creates very crisp skin, that you can’t get in an oven.
I never cooked chicken wings until I saw my son devour them at a restaurant once. Then I figured I should find a way to make them homemade, and albeit healthier. I love the air fryer method of making chicken wings. They come out perfectly crisp on the outside while juicy and tender on the inside. And there’s no breading necessary, so the recipe is low carb and gluten-free.
How to make air fryer wings
Marinate the chicken wings with a mixture of olive oil, paprika and garlic powder. You can switch around the oil you use and the spices. You can even add some hot sauce to the marinade. Let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
Place the wings in the air fryer so that they are not touching. You’ll want to cook them for 10 minutes and then increase the temperature and cook until they are golden brown. I used a pound of chicken wings and they fit just fine in my air fryer.
When they come out of the air fryer, you can enjoy them as is. You can also toss them in hot sauce, or hot sauce and melted butter or a store-bought buffalo sauce. I prefer keeping the chicken wings not spicy since my son enjoys them so much!
Tips for making air fryer chicken wings
- Pat dry the chicken wings dry before marinating them. This will remove any excess moisture and help them get nice and crispy.
- Line up the chicken wings standing upright along the sides of the air fryer. This is a good trick to use if necessary to fit them in the air fryer basket. It won’t affect how they’re cooked and allows you to fit more in at once.
- Be sure to increase the temperature of the chicken wings during the last few minutes of cooking. To make it easier, you can use the same temperature throughout, but I found this tip makes them more crisp.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. This fried chicken wings recipe is easily doubled, but you may need to cook the wings in two batches so they’re not touching in the basket.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can, but it will take longer and the results may vary. To make the chicken wings in the oven, bake them at 425˚F for 35-45 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
These wings are best enjoyed as soon as they are cooked. If you have any leftovers, keep them in an airtight container in the fridge. You can reheat cooked chicken wings in an air fryer at 360°F for 4 minutes or in the microwave until heated through. Only reheat the chicken wings once and enjoy them in one sitting.
You can freeze the fried chicken wings recipe. Let them cool to room temperature and freeze them on a baking sheet before transferring to a freezer safe container. Thaw the wings in the fridge overnight before reheating in the air fryer or oven.
For more air fryer recipes:
- Pickle Brined Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Chicken
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer Potatoes
- Air Fryer Avocado Fries
- Shrimp in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Salmon
More chicken recipes:
- Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Pan Seared Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Meatballs with Marinara
- Pickle Brined Chicken Tenders
I’m so happy we get to enjoy chicken wings but without the need for deep frying them! These crispy air fryer wings are tender and juicy without taking up too much time to make in an oven.
If you’ve tried this healthy Air Fryer Chicken Wings recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Nonstick cooking spray for air fryer basket
- 1 pound chicken wings split into flats and drummettes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley for serving
- Ranch dressing for serving
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F. When heated, spray the basket with cooking spray.
- Pat the chicken wings dry. Then transfer them to a large bowl. Toss the wings with olive oil, paprika and garlic powder; then season with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken wings in the air fryer so they are not touching. Cook for 10 minutes, then increase the temperature to 400°F, and cook until crisp and golden, about 6-8 more minutes.
- Garnish the chicken wings with parsley, and serve with ranch dressing on the side, if desired