This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
My air fryer is one of my favorite appliances right now. I love how you can get crispy deep fried food without the need for a ton of oil! These avocado fries came out so well, and they make such a quick and easy appetizer. No one will ever guess they’re not deep fried!
Be sure to check out my how to cut an avocado post for all of my top tips that will come in handy for this recipe!
- Avocados: Use ripe avocados, but not over ripe so that they keep their shape. Avocados are a great source of heathy fats and vitamins.
- Flour: Standard all -purpose flour is perfect for this recipe. You can also use a 1:1 GF flour if you have an intolerance.
- Seasonings: Chili powder, garlic powder and salt.
- Eggs: To help the coating stick to the avocados. Use organic / free run eggs if you can.
- Panko breadcrumbs: These bread crumbs are super crispy and crunchy and make for a fabulous coating. You can use gluten-free panko if you have an intolerance.
How to make avocado fries
Start by slicing the avocados. Make sure they are firm and wide enough so they don’t fall apart after dredging.
Assemble the dredging station: One bowl with the flour and spices, one with egg and one with panko breadcrumbs.
Dredge the avocado slices in the flour, egg and then the breadcrumbs. Get ready for super messy hands. But it’s totally worth it!
Place the avocado slices in the air fryer until golden brown. See below for the oven method as well. You’ll know they’re done with the color of the panko breadcrumbs becomes golden brown.
Tips for making this recipe
- Make sure to use firm avocados that are not too ripe. That will ensure that they hold up to the breading and frying process without falling apart or being soggy.
- Flip the avocados half way through cooking. Whether cooking the fries in the air fryer or in the oven, this tips helps ensure that the avocados are crispy all over.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket, or they won’t crisp up. They should be in one single layer. If you double the recipe, you may need to fry them in two batches.
- Don’t cut the avocados too thinly or they can fall apart. They should be fairly chunky as in the photos. Cut them into similar sizes so that they cook through evenly.
Frequently asked questions
Avocado fries are best eaten straight away when they are freshly cooked, but you can get ahead of the game and dredge the fries and then keep them on a covered baking sheet in the fridge for a couple of hours before you want to cook them. Don’t prep them more than a couple of hours ahead of time or they will start to brown.
Enjoy these fries as soon as they have been cooked. This will be when they are most crispy. If you do have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container for one day. Reheat them in the air fryer or a toaster oven to help them crisp up again. It’s best not to reheat them in the microwave as this can soften the coating.
Avocado fries are perfect to serve alongside my spicy mayo dip for a great appetizer to serve a crowd. You can also try the with my Homemade Ranch Dip. They are so good as toppings in burgers, or serve them alongside a main dish like Honey Lemon Salmon or Grilled Lemon Chicken
For more air fryer recipes:
- Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs
- Air Fryer Chicken
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer Potatoes
- Fried Shrimp
More recipes with avocado:
My family all adored these avocado fries and I love how quick and easy they are to make. They feel like a real treat, but whether you air fry or oven bake them, they contain hardly any oil!
If you’ve tried this healthy Avocado Fries recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Spicy Mayo Dipping Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Greek Yogurt
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- In a small bowl, mix the flour with the chili powder, garlic powder and salt. Place the beaten egg in another bowl and the panko breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Dredge the avocado in the flour mixture, then the egg and finally the panko breadcrumbs, pressing down lightly until the crumbs stick. Spray both sides with oil.
- For the air fryer, air fry at 400°F. until about for 7 to 8 minutes, turning halfway through until golden brown.
- For the oven, bake on a greased baking sheet lined at 425°F for 12-15 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden brown.
- Serve hot with spicy mayo dipping sauce, if desired.