This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you eat eggs often, this air fryer hard boiled eggs method is definitely one to try. There’s no need to wait for the water to boil and it’s completely hands-off. Just set the eggs in the air fryer basket, set the timer and wait until they’re cooked to your desired doneness. The air fried boiled eggs come out perfectly cooked and easy to peel!
Once you try air fryer hard boiled eggs, you’ll realize it may just be the easiest method to “boiling” eggs. And it doesn’t require any water for cooking. You can eat the eggs alone or use them in recipes liked my Healthy Egg Salad, Avocado Egg Salad or Cauliflower Potato Salad.
Eggs are a great source of protein and are rich in vitamin D, A and antioxidants. Air frying them is a great method for cooking eggs as you are not adding any additional fat to them.
How to make air fryer hard boiled eggs
Making hard boiled eggs in the air fryer couldn’t be easier!
Preheat the air fryer to 250°F. But you can also skip this step and just tack on an extra couple minutes of cooking time. I always like to start by preheating though. Set the timer between 13 and 17 minutes, depending on your desired doneness; and that’s it!
The outer shell of the egg may have raised spots on them after they’re cooked. But that’s just from the hot air circulating rapidly and creating pressure on the egg shells. It’s completely normal if that happens, and the peeled eggs aren’t affected.
As soon as they’re cooked, place the hard boiled eggs in an ice water bath, made with cold water and ice cubes. This helps to immediately stop the cooking and makes it easy to peel the eggs. You can alternatively just run them under cold running water for a minute.
Then, just peel normally and enjoy. I found that the air fryer hard boiled eggs peel super easily and quickly every time!
Tips for making air fryer hard boiled eggs
- Play around with the time for your ideal doneness. Since all air fryers makes and models vary in strength and watts, I recommend trying out the different times to find what’s perfect for you. And then you can keep using those settings. The air fryer I used is 1700 watts.
- Use an ice water bath to stop the eggs from overcooking. While it’s not necessary to cool the eggs, I always run them under cold water or an ice bath (preferred) because it immediately shocks the eggs’ temperature, and stops them from cooking.
- Use a grill rack or mesh rack if your air fryer doesn’t have a basket. That works perfectly fine to allow the air to circulate fast around the eggs even if you don’t have a basket.
- Cook up to 12 eggs at once. Air fryer hard boiled eggs are great for meal prepping since the eggs last up to one week in the fridge. Once you’ve tested the perfect time in your air fryer, you can cook them in bulk.
Frequently asked questions
There are so many great air fryers on the market. I have tested a few of them and my favorite one that I’ve been using for the past three years is this Instant Vortex air fryer.
Hard boiled eggs can be refrigerated for up to one week, whether they’re peeled or unpeeled.
For unpeeled hard boiled eggs, store them in any container, sealed or unsealed.
For peeled hard-boiled eggs, store them in a bowl of cold water to cover. Make sure to change the water daily. Or you can store them in a sealed container without water. Instead, cover the eggs with damp paper towels.
The answer is yes, but only for the yolks. I’ve never tried it myself, but I’ve read that the whites become tough and rubbery, or even leak and change color. However, if you remove the cooked egg yolks, and place them in a freezer safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag, they will stay good in the freezer for up to 3 months.
I have not tested this at the higher temperature, but I recommend trying 10-12 minutes.
For more air fryer recipes:
- Pickle Brined Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Chicken
- Fried Chicken Wings Recipe
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer Potatoes
- Air Fryer Salmon
More egg recipes:
For everyone who recently got an air fryer and looking for more ways to incorporate meals into it, try Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs. They cook quickly and easily without any water, there’s no clean up involved, and they come out consistently perfect every time!
If you’ve tried this healthy Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs
- 4 eggs
- Preheat the air fryer to 250°F.
- Add the eggs to the fryer basket and cook according to your preference, between 13 minutes for soft-boiled eggs and 17 minutes for hard boiled eggs. Please note, time may vary between air fryers.
- Remove the eggs from the air fryer basket, and plunge them into an ice bath. Peel when cool enough to handle and enjoy!
- For unpeeled hard boiled eggs, store them in any container, sealed or unsealed.
- For peeled hard-boiled eggs, store them in a bowl of cold water to cover. Make sure to change the water daily. Or you can store them in a sealed container without water. Instead, cover the eggs with damp paper towels.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
Fantastic. Usually have under cooked yokes or grey around the yoke when boiling in water. I did 6 eggs at preheated 250° for 16 min and they were PERFECT. Will be my preferred method from now on. Thanks
You’re so welcome! So glad they turned out well for you, Nancy.
Excellent! Won’t do it any other way in the future!!
So glad they hard boiled eggs turned out well for you, Maureen!
this is EGGcellent!! so easy and no mess. Thank you 😊
Thank you so much, Mac!
Aim for 17 minutes. I ended up with 6 undercooked eggs at 14 minutes.
Wow! They came out perfect and so easy to peel! Taste delicious 😋 Best hard boiled eggs I have ever made! Thank you 😊
You’re so welcome, Lori! Glad you liked them!
First time I preheated my 1400w air fryer at 250 degrees and cooked for 15 minutes. One of the eggs cracked during cooking. Next try, I started cold, cooked for 16 minutes and they were perfect. Except for the cracked one, they peeled easily after the cold-water bath. Also they didn’t have that ugly gray/green color water-cooked eggs sometimes have.
So happy to hear they turned out well for you! Sometimes, it is trial and error due to the differences, even if minute in appliance brands.
Worked like a charm!
Yay! That’s great to hear!
I made two rounds of eggs because my kid decided he wanted more. I found that adding the eggs to a silicon liner in the air fryer while it preheated and then a 10 minute timer once it came to temperature worked best. When I went to make more eggs and the air fryer was already hot a few eggs ended up cracking.
I have yet to try this recipe with a silicone liner, but I might have to try that now! Thank you for sharing!
My air fryer only gets down as low as 300° 😔
You can cook them at 300, just reduce the time by 5 minutes for your desired doneness.
I have a Nuwave Bravo XL made 12 eggs at 250 for 28 min. Came out fine.
Great to hear!
After multiple tests for my air fryer it needed to be 24 minutes at 250 for the perfect fully cooked hard boiled egg. If it’s runny egg, add a few more min next time!
I’m glad you found the perfect time for your air fryer! Yay!!
See All Comments