This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Lighten up your egg salad sandwich by using avocado instead of mayonnaise! This Avocado Egg Salad is not really a novelty now in 2019, but you really can’t go wrong with that avocado and egg combo. And I wanted to make sure everyone has this recipe in their back pocket for an easy healthy lunch idea! Have it with greens as a salad, as a dip with vegetables or slather it on two slices of bread as a sandwich.
- Eggs: Use the freshest eggs you can, and if possible organic / free run.
- Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt makes this sandwich filling nice and creamy and is a great substitute for the mayo. It’s a great source of protein and probiotics.
- Lemon juice:The acidity of the lemon juice balances out the creaminess of the avocado, egg and yogurt. Use fresh rather than bottled.
- Dijon mustard: I like to add a bit of mustard for a little bite and depth of flavor.
- Salt and pepper: Added to taste.
- Avocado:Use ripe avocados that give a little when you squeeze them. Be sure to get my top tips on how to cut an avocado.
- Chives: Chives add a very mild onion flavor and round off the avocado and egg salad wonderfully.
- For the sandwich: Use your favorite bread and add some lettuce for freshness and texture.
How to make avocado and egg salad
You may have some hard-boiled eggs leftover. If you don’t, you can get that going on the stovetop, while you make the dressing. The dressing includes Greek Yogurt, dijon mustard, lemon juice and salt/pepper. Then add a whole chopped avocado on top.
Next, use a fork to mash the avocados into the dressing, until it looks creamy and consistent. It will kinda look like guacamole! And finally add the chopped hard-boiled eggs on top and give it all a good gentle mix.
I would recommend keeping the eggs chunky so that this egg salad doesn’t end up looking like mush. You want to be able to see the chopped eggs in there. And this is the point where you’ll throw in some fresh herbs like chives, parsley or cilantro.
I love buttering up and toasting some sourdough bread, and eating it with the avocado egg salad. The recipe can easily fit 4 sandwiches, but just double or cut in half as you see necessary.
Tips for making avocado egg salad
- Peel the eggs easily by using the ice bath method. When the hard boiled eggs are done cooking, shock them in an ice bath immediately. This stops the boiling process right away, and makes the peeling process so much easier!
- Use more egg whites if desired. If you’re watching your cholesterol or just want to add more protein to the avocado egg salad, you can use 2 whole eggs and 4 egg whites instead.
- Use a ripe avocado. This can really make or break the recipe. Make sure the avocado is green, ripe and soft. That makes it blend easily into the Greek yogurt so it yields a more creamy dressing and better overall texture.
- Don’t over-stir the mixture. When you add the chopped eggs to the thick mixture, try to keep the mixture chunky. This just makes the sandwich look more appealing and less like baby food haha.
Frequently Asked Questions
When it’s all mixed, it’s best to enjoy it immediately to avoid the avocado oxidizing. But, you can still have it up to 24 hours later.
The other great thing about this recipe is it’s very forgiving and can be altered how you like it. You can change up the amount of avocados, eggs or the dressing to your taste. It also works with any fresh herbs or green onions. If you’re making it into a sandwich, it works great with lettuce, kale or arugula.
One serving of this salad contains around 5g of carbs so it’s a great option if you are following a low carb diet or keto lifestyle. Enjoy it served in lettuce wraps or a low carb tortilla wrap.
More sandwich recipes:
- Healthy Egg Salad
- Avocado Chicken Salad
- Healthy Tuna Salad
- Roasted Vegetable Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Turkey Panini
This is such a delicious egg salad that’s perfect for quick lunches, meal-prep lunches and even a full dinner meal. The ingredients are very simple, but the combination of them with the tangy dressing really makes this avocado egg salad my favorite! You can enjoy it on it’s own for a low-carb, paleo-friendly or keto meal, or enjoy it between two slices of bread for a fresh tasting, ultra filling, delicious sandwich!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Healthy Avocado Egg Salad recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Avocado Egg Salad
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado pitted and peeled
- 1 teaspoon chives
- Sliced bread for sandwich
- Lettuce for sandwich
- Place cold eggs into boiling hot water. Boil on medium for 12 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the eggs from the boiling water. Place in an ice bath, then remove, peel and chop the eggs roughly
- To make the dressing, combine the Greek yogurt, lemon juice and Dijon mustard. Season with salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Add the avocado on top of the dressing and toss to combine. Then mash with a fork until it’s creamy. Add the hard-boiled eggs and combine once more.
- Serve in a sandwich with bread of choice and lettuce, if desired.
- Instead of Greek Yogurt, you can use regular yogurt, sour cream or leave it out all together.
- You can switch the dijon mustard to yellow mustard, or leave it out.
- Use any herbs you’d like instead of chives.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
Amazing! I usually have plain eggs and slap the avocado on top but it got boring so I tried this. didn’t use the exact recipe because I could only use what I had on hand. Swapped the Greek yogurt for plain low fat. And swapped the Dijon mustard with regular mustard. Didn’t add chives cuz I didn’t have any. Put it in a artisan roll and it was still delicious!! Thank you!
That makes me so happy to hear! This is so versatile in that way.
Omg 🥑 and 🥚 what a combo thanks! Love your recipes am going to make this and your ful this week!
Yay! Hope you like them. Thank you!
Man oh man was this delish. I never never considered mixing avocado with eggs, but this creamy egg salad made the perfect sandwich.
Yay! I’m glad you liked it. It’s truly a great combo!
Such a great recipe!! So delicious and SO SO EASY!! This is definitely a keeper!!
So glad you liked it. Thank you!!
Made this for dinner today and it was just ideal! It’s quite filing but it doesn’t taste that heavy and it was a hit at the family dinner table! Definitely going to be making this as a regular sandwich going forward.
Made this for lunch today and it was delicious. Not usually a fan of egg salad but this recipe was perfect. Yum yum!
So glad to hear you enjoyed it. Thanks so much for sharing!