This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Beet Orange Salad is so easy to throw together. You just need some cooked beets, peeled sliced oranges, some greens of choice (I used a baby spinach and arugula mix, but any greens will work) along with feta cheese and walnuts. I can’t even explain to you the goodness and sweetness and yumminess in this simple spring salad! Plus, it’s just so darn pretty!
What ingredients do you need to make the salad
- Greens: I use a mix of baby spinach and arugula. This would also work well with kale, romaine lettuce or other greens.
- Beets: You can roast the beets, boil them, or buy them pre-cooked, to make the recipe even faster.
- Orange: Use any oranges you’d like or even mandarins. I like using navel oranges, peeling them and creating wide slices.
- Cheese: Feta cheese and goat cheese are popular choices with this beet orange salad.
- Nuts: Walnuts are very popular combination. But this will work with any other nuts you’d like.
- Dressing: My homemade dressing is made up of olive oil, orange juice, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, salt and pepper. You just need to whisk them together until the mixture is no longer separated.
If you boil a big batch of beets, you can store them in the fridge for up to one week and they stay perfectly fine. And that means the prep work for this salad basically disappears! And if you have extra beets, try making my pickled eggs with beets or a roasted beet salad.
The dressing is a really effortless one that I usually make a big batch of and use in all types of salads. The dressing is sweet, tangy and robust and just brings this salad to life!
Top tips to make this salad
- Add the dressing when you are ready to serve it. If you add the dressing too early, the greens may wilt. The undressed salad will keep covered in the fridge for 2 to 3 days. The dressing can be stored separately in the fridge for up to a week.
- Use ripe and fresh ingredients. This simple salad is all about flavor so use the best ingredients you can and preferably organic.
Frequently asked questions
What do you serve with beet orange salad?
This salad is perfect by itself, served as a healthy lunch. It also makes a great side dish for your favorite mains and it’s a great addition to a cookout. Try serving it to accompany other dishes like Sheet Pan Salmon, Grilled Chicken Kabobs or Black Bean Burgers.
Do you have to cook the beets for this salad?
Yes. You can either roast or boil the beats, whatever you prefer. Alternatively you can buy pre cooked beets from the store to save time and effort.
More salad recipes
- Roasted Beet Salad
- Avocado Blueberry Salad
- Strawberry Arugula Salad
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Mediterranean Potato Salad
- Watermelon Blueberry Salad
- Watermelon Cucumber Salad
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Beet Orange Salad recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
This Beet Orange Salad recipe was originally published on October 17, 2017. I’m re-sharing it with more step-by-step photos and a video tutorial. Here’s the original photo 🙂
Beet Orange Salad
- 4 ounces spinach and arugula mix
- 4 medium beets cooked and sliced
- 2 navel oranges peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together the ingredients of the dressing until it’s well blended.
- Assemble the salad into one large bowl or two separate bowls. Start by placing the greens at the bottom, followed by interchanging layers of the sliced beets and sliced oranges. Crumble feta cheese on top along with walnuts and drizzle the dressing on top.
- Enjoy at room temperature or cold.