This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Big flavors unite in this light and delightful roasted beet salad. The earthy flavor of beets mingles well with the amazing nutty flavor of arugula. It’s a great way to use seasonal beets to replace tomatoes that might be in your salads often!
ingredients & substitutions
- Beets: The beets are roasted whole in the oven before being sliced and added to the salad. Roasting makes them tender and enhances their natural flavors.
- Arugula: Arugula is slightly peppery in flavor, and so it works great with the beets and feta. Other greens like baby spinach will also work well.
- Walnuts: Walnuts add a nice earthy and nutty flavor that compliment the beets, as well as a crunchy texture. Other nuts like pecans or slivered almonds will work well. Go the extra mile and make sweet crunchy candied walnuts to add to salads or just to munch on. It’s a great snack!
- Feta: Feta adds a nice salty briny flavor and a creamy texture. Goat cheese would also work great.
- Dressing: Shallot, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper.
how to make roasted beet salad
roast & prepare beets
- Wrap the beets in foil and roast.
- Once tender, let them cool and remove the skins.
- Cut into slices or into cubes.
make salad dressing
- Add the salad dressing ingredients to a bowl.
- Whisk to combine until emulsified.
Tips for making beet salad
- Wrap the beets in foil when you roast them. This helps them to steam and cook through, and the skins will be easier to remove.
- Rub the skin to easily remove them. Don’t bother peeling the beets before roasting. Once roasted and cooled, you just need to rub them and the skins will come off easily. It they are tricky to remove, they need to be roasted for longer.
- Skip the roasting. We prefer to roast the beets as it helps to make them sweeter and more flavorful, but you can eat beets raw. Slice them thinly and add them straight to the other salad ingredients.
- Use red and golden beets. We like to mix and match the colors of the beets to add more interest to the salad. You can use one or the other if you prefer.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can roast the beets ahead of time, and they will keep well in a sealed container in the fridge for around 5 days. The dressing can also be kept in the fridge for up to a week. It’s best not to dress the salad until you are ready to serve or the arugula can wilt.
As it is, this makes for a really delicious side dish, but you can easily add some protein to it to make it a fuller meal. Shredded chicken or cooked salmon would make a great addition, or add some roasted chickpeas or press tofu and air fry them into crispy tofu bites for a filling vegetarian option.
This roasted beet salad is a delicious way to make use of your seasonal produce. Full of texture and flavor, this is one tasty way to eat your veggies!
More salad recipes
- Strawberry Spring Salad
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Mediterranean Potato Salad
- Watermelon Blueberry Salad
- Orange Beet Salad
- Avocado Blueberry Salad
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Roasted Beet Salad recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Roasted Beet Salad
- 3-4 medium-large beets scrubbed and ends trimmed
- 5 tablespoons olive oil divided
- Kosher salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- ½ medium shallot minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4-6 cups fresh arugula
- ½ cup walnuts toasted
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Drizzle beets with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap in foil and place on a sheet tray. Bake until beets are fork tender, 40-55 minutes, depending on the size of your beets. Let cool completely.
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl, mix shallot, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, and Dijon. Stream in remaining 4 tablespoons of oil, whisking constantly until emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Once beets are cool enough to handle, wear gloves and use a paper towel to rub the skins off. Discard the skins and slices the beets into ½ inch thick slices.
- Assemble the salad. In a large bowl, toss arugula, cooked beets, walnuts, feta, and dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper, top with fresh basil, and serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.