Avocado Blueberry Salad is a summertime fresh and flavorful recipe made on top of a bed or arugula and quinoa. It's an easy bright recipe to throw together!
Try this fresh and vibrant Avocado Blueberry Salad for a little variety to your salad routine. I love adding fruits to my salads during the summer because they’re usually at their peak flavor, add some interest to the salad and pack more nutritional value. I toss this blueberry salad with salty herbed feta and a simple vinaigrette!
Ingredients to make the blueberry salad
This Avocado Blueberry Salad is loaded with so much yumminess and you don’t have to worry if you do not have some of the items, because it’s easy to swap them out. But the combination of creamy avocados with tart blueberries really comes together so well!
- Baby Arugula: Arugula is a peppery and herby green that is great as a base for a salad. Baby arugula is more tender and less bitter.
- Quinoa: Quinoa adds fiber and protein to this hearty salad and is naturally gluten-free.
- Blueberries: Use fresh blueberries to add some sweetness to the salad.
- Red Onion: Red onion is milder than yellow or white onion so it’s more often eaten raw and used in salads.
- Walnuts: Walnuts add a great texture to the finished dish.
- Avocado: A great source of healthy fats and its texture and flavor work so well with the other ingredients.
- Dressing: Olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, honey, salt and pepper
How to make avocado blueberry salad
- Make the dressing by whisking all of the ingredients together until smooth.
- Place the arugula in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients on top. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to combine.
- Add the sliced avocados on top right before serving.
Tips to make this avocado salad
- Use packaged pre-cooked quinoa to make this salad quick and convenient. You can also cook your own if you prefer. Check out my quinoa cooking instructions for step-by-step tutorial.
- Use a salad spinner to dry the arugula. This will get rid of any excess moisture that can pool in the bottom of the bowl. If you don’t have a spinner, you can pat it gently with paper towel.
- Don’t add the avocado until you are ready to serve. Avocados tend to brown quickly when oxidized, so only cut and add it when you are ready to eat it.
Frequently asked questions
This is a great make ahead salad and the different elements can be made ahead of time. The dressing can be stored sealed in the fridge for up to 5 days and the salad can be tossed and stored in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days. Store the dressing separately so that the arugula doesn’t wilt. Add the avocado just before serving so that it doesn’t brown.
I love the flavors and textures in the salad and it takes minutes to make. Full of fresh and tasty ingredients, it’s a great salad to enjoy during the summer months.
More salad recipes
- Strawberry Arugula Salad
- Watermelon Blueberry Salad
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Mediterranean Potato Salad
- Orange Beet Salad
- Cucumber Lemon Orzo Salad
- Tomato Caprese Salad
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Avocado Blueberry Salad recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Avocado Blueberry Salad
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1 ½ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup blueberries
- ½ red onion sliced
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 avocado sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- To make the dressing, place all the ingredients in a small bowl (or in a large salad bowl) and whisk until smooth and consistent. Taste and add salt or vinegar, if needed.
- Place the arugula in a large salad bowl, top with the cooked quinoa, blueberries, red onion and walnuts. Drizzle the salad dressing on top and toss gently to combine and coat the arugula with the dressing.
- Add the sliced avocados on top and serve immediately