This Corn Tomato Avocado Salad is a quintessential and easy vegan summer recipe made with fresh vegetables and tossed with lime juice, olive oil & cilantro
Corn Tomato Avocado Salad is an easy, fresh and flavorful summer salad that you’ll want to make all throughout the warm months. It’s a great way to use up leftover corn you may have grilled and the abundance of tomatoes you probably have. You can serve it with or without the lettuce, and eat it as a side salad or as a main meal with protein of choice on top. It’s vegan, naturally gluten-free and keto-friendly.
Ingredients to make Corn Tomato Avocado Salad
The great thing about this summer salad recipe is that most of the ingredients are actually in the title of the recipe!
Corn: Fresh corn off the cob is best in this recipe to take advantage of the plentiful corn this time of year. You can grill the corn, boil it or microwave it as I do in the recipe video. If it’s off season, you can also use frozen corn.
Tomatoes: I usually opt for the small cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes instead of whole larger tomatoes. That’s because the smaller ones tend to release less water but taste sweeter, which is perfect in this corn tomato avocado salad
Avocados: Make sure they’re ripe and cut them into large chunks. You’re looking for the perfect balance of firm, but creamy. Check out this article for more tips on selecting the perfect avocado and how to cut an avocado.
Red onions: They add a fun purple color to the salad and have a relatively mild flavor especially when chopped finely. If you find the flavor to be too strong when it’s raw, try soaking the red onions in water before tossing the salad. You can also substitute with green onions or chives.
Lettuce: The lettuce in this salad is completely optional, and most people will make this recipe and omit the lettuce. But I like to use the lettuce as a base under the corn, tomato and avocados to give it more substance.
Cilantro/Lime juice/Olive oil: Flavor, flavor, flavor!
How to cook corn on the cob
The cool thing about corn on the cob is you can’t really mess it up anyway you prepare it. You can grill it, boil it, microwave it and even bake it. And any of those methods work perfectly fine in this Corn Tomato Avocado Salad.
- Grill it: Soak the corn with their husks still on in water for about 20 minutes. Then grill on medium high heat for 20 minutes, rotating every few minutes.
- Boil it: Remove the husks from the corn, place in a large pot of boiling water and then boil for 15 minutes. The color of the corn will become a deeper yellow when it’s cooked.
- Microwave it: Cut off the end of the corn that’s connected to the stalk. Place in the microwave with the husk still on it and microwave for 3-4 minutes. (demonstrated in video below)
- Bake It: Place the corn with husks still on in the middle rack of your oven. Bake at 350˚F for 30 minutes. This is similar to grilling the corn, but eliminates the soaking step.
Tips for making Corn Tomato Avocado Salad
- Set the red onions in a bowl of cold water. You can do this while preparing the remaining ingredients. It mellows out the strong flavor of the red onions if they are too astringent.
- Grill the corn for a smokey flavor. Cooking the corn on the grill adds a unique sweet flavor to the corn that you just can’t get by preparing it any other way.
- Enjoy the salad immediately. You can certainly toss it together and allow the flavors to set and blend for half hour. But just keep in mind the avocados may not be as bright green and the lettuce may slowly wilt. I recommend serving right after you mix it.
This is the summer salad you need in your life. It’s full of sweet summer produce that’s balanced with the tangy citrus dressing. It’s bright, colorful and makes for a wonderful appetizer or side dish to your grilled entrees. The best thing about it is you can eyeball all the ingredients based on what you have leftover, and it’s always a huge hit at summer potlucks and cookouts. It’s simple ingredients with amazing flavor!
For more summer salads:
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Corn Tomato Avocado Salad recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Corn Tomato Avocado Salad
- 1 cup romaine lettuce chopped (optional)
- 2 ears corn or about 1 ½ cups
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons red onion finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine the corn, avocado, tomatoes and onion. In a large glass bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients in a glass bowl. Pour over the salad and toss gently to mix.