This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This deliciously simple tomato avocado cucumber onion salad recipe is quick and easy to make and is a wonderful side to serve for cookouts and summer parties. The fresh lemon paired with dill makes for a bright and refreshing dressing that everyone will enjoy.
If you have been looking for a refreshing salad that is low in carbs, look no further than this Roma Tomato Avocado Cucumber Salad! This salad is easy to make and features some of my favorite summertime ingredients. I love the combination of juicy tomatoes, creamy avocado, and crisp cucumbers. Plus, the addition of red onions and fresh lemon juice gives this salad a wonderful zing. Don’t forget the dill – it really takes this salad over the top!
why you’ll love this avocado salad recipe
- Fresh ingredients. Everything’s better when it’s fresh, and this salad is no exception. The tomatoes, avocado, and cucumber are all perfectly ripe and full of flavor.
- The perfect balance of flavors. This salad has the perfect balance of sweetness from the tomatoes, creaminess from the avocado, crunch from the cucumbers, and brightness from the lemon juice and dill. It’s a delicious combination that you’ll want to eat all summer long!
- It’s low carb. The tomato cucumber salad is perfect for those on a low-carb diet or anyone who is looking for a healthy and refreshing option.
- Go-to warm weather side. This salad is the perfect side to bring to any summer cookout or party. It pairs well with grilled chicken, fish, or burgers and is sure to be a hit with everyone!
Ingredients to make tomato cucumber salad
- Avocado: The avocado is what makes this salad so creamy and delicious! Be sure to use a ripe avocado that is soft to the touch but not mushy.
- Cucumber: I like to use an English cucumber for this salad because it is nice and crisp. You could also use a regular cucumber, but you may want to peel it first.
- Red onion: The red onion gives this salad a little bit of a bite. If you are not a fan of onions, you can leave them out or substitute green onions instead.
- Lemon juice: The lemon juice brightens up the flavors in this salad and really makes it shine. I prefer fresh lemons, but if you need to use lemon juice concentrate, it will work in a pinch.
- Extra virgin olive oil: A good quality extra virgin olive oil is a must for this salad. I like to use a light-tasting olive oil so that it doesn’t overpower the other flavors.
- Dill: The dill really takes this salad to the next level. If you don’t have dill, you could try parsley or basil instead.
- Salt & Pepper: Don’t forget to season your salad with a little bit of salt and pepper!
RECIPE VIDEO TUTORIAL
How to make tomato cucumber avocado salad
It really couldn’t be easier to make this simple salad. It’s the best way to enjoy the best of summer’s produce!
- I like starting with the dressing ingredients in the large salad bowl to make it easier.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in the bowl until it’s emulsified and everything is well blended.
- Slice the veggies and add them straight into the bowl of dressing.
- Stir gently to combine everything together.
Tips for making tomato cucumber salad
- Cut the avocado, tomatoes, and cucumber into similar-sized pieces. This will make everything easier to incorporate. Be sure to check my post on how to cut an avocado for a super quick and easy method!
- Be gentle when tossing the salad. Slowly mix it with a small spoon so that you don’t mash the avocados.
- Season to taste. Don’t be shy with the salt and pepper or dill. This salad really benefits from a more full-bodied vinaigrette, so be sure to taste it before serving.
- Prepare 30 minutes before serving. This is just enough time to let the flavors meld and keep the avocado from turning brown.
- Serve chilled, but not too cold. You want it a little above room temperature so that the flavors really come alive.
popular substitutions & additions
- Switch out the dill. If you’re not a fan of dill, try using basil, cilantro, or parsley instead. All of these fresh herbs pair wonderfully with the lemon vinaigrette and offer a variation if you find yourself making this avocado salad a lot.
- Add some protein. Grilled chicken, shrimp skewers, or air fried salmon would all be delicious additions to this salad.
- Make it a meal. Add some quinoa or farro to make this salad into a complete meal.
- Use cherry or grape tomatoes. If Roma tomatoes aren’t available, any type of tomato will work. I like using cherry or grape tomatoes because they are small and easy to eat.
what to serve/pair with your cucumber Salad
This salad makes a great side dish for your favorite mains, and it’s a great addition to a cookout. Try serving it to accompany other summer dishes like:
how to store this tomato Avocado salad
This avocado salad is best enjoyed the day it’s made. If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge. The avocados will brown slightly, but the salad will still taste delicious.
how long will avocado salad last in the fridge?
You’ve got a max of 24 hours before the avocado browns too much. I would still eat it up to 48 hours, but the avocados will be quite brown by then.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can use white wine vinegar or red wine vinegar instead of the lemon juice. A lime will work in place as well. Just make sure you have some kind of acid in the mix. It not only adds flavor but slows down the oxidation process of the avocados.
You can prep the salad up to a day in advance and keep it covered in the fridge. However, it’s best not to add the avocado until just before serving so that it doesn’t turn brown. The dressing will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
Just about anything! Corn, bell peppers, jicama, radishes, and green onions would all be great additions.
This salad is refreshing, delicious, and simple to make. If you’re looking for a low-carb recipe that’s easy and quick, this avocado cucumber tomato salad will be your go-to summer dish!
For more Mediterranean salads, check out:
- Mediterranean Chopped Salad
- Chickpea Couscous Salad
- Quinoa Salad with Avocado
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Lebanese Fattoush Salad
- Avocado Caprese Salad
- Couscous Salad
- Vegan Chickpea Salad
If you try this feel good Tomato Avocado Cucumber Salad recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
This Tomato Avocado Cucumber Salad recipe was originally published on May 14, 2018. The recipe has not been modified, but the post now includes new step-by-step photos for how to make the salad.
Tomato Cucumber Avocado Salad
- In a large serving bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper until well combined and emulsified.
- Add the tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, red onions and dill on top and toss gently to combine evenly. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.