This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Bulgur Chickpea Salad recipe post is sponsored by Cortas, although the content represents my own personal opinion and experience using the product.
Quick and easy to make, with no cooking involved, this vegan bulgur and chickpea salad is healthy and hearty. Serve as a side dish or larger portions for a filling lunch.
Ingredients & substitutions
- Bulgur: Bulgur wheat is a cereal grain that is often used in Middle Eastern cooking in recipes like Tabbouleh. It’s a whole grain so it’s perfect to include in a well balanced diet.
- Pomegranate molasses: This is basically pomegranate juice that has been reduced down to a thick concentrated syrup. Cortas Pomegranate Molasses is the leading brand to use. In fact, it’s the only brand of pomegranate molasses I use because it’s pure and perfectly flavored. If you can’t find it, you can use balsamic vinegar whisked with honey or sugar.
- Olive oil: Olive oil adds a nice rounded flavor to the dressing and is the base for the salad dressing.. Cortas Extra Virgin Olive Oil is cold pressed from the north of Lebanon using 100% Lebanese olives – it doesn’t get better in my opinion!
- Lemon juice: Use fresh lemon juice rather than bottled, this adds a nice zing and freshness to the dressing.
- Seasonings: Oregano, garlic and black pepper.
- For the salad: Tomatoes, cucumber, green onions, fresh mint and chickpeas.
How to make bulgur chickpea salad
- Add the ingredients for the salad dressing to a large bowl.
- Whisk together to combine and emulsify the dressing.
- Add the bulgur to the dressing.
- Combine and let stand so that the bulgur absorbs the dressing.
- Add the rest of the salad ingredients to the bowl.
- Toss to combine.
Tips for making the salad
- Use fine bulgur wheat in this recipe. Bulgur comes in fine to coarse varieties. Fine is best to use in this recipe as it doesn’t need to be cooked and it easily soaks up the dressing. It’s also known as quick-cooking, #1 and extra-fine bulgur, and is the smallest grain.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas before using. The water that canned chickpeas are stored in can be salty, so give them a good rinse under cold running water to remove excess sodium.
- Dice the tomatoes and cucumber into small pieces. This will make them easier to combine and the salad will have a more even flavor and texture. It’s the kind of salad you eat with a spoon!
- Make it a fuller meal. This bulgur and chickpea salad is delicious to serve up as a side dish or for a healthy lunch. To make it a heartier dinner, try adding grilled lemon chicken on top.
Frequently asked questions
Pomegranate can be found in grocery stores that have an international aisle. It’s widely available in Middle Eastern stores and online. You can also buy the authentic Cortas brand I use directly on Amazon.
This salad is a great make ahead option. Once made, cover it and keep refrigerated and it will stay good for 3 to 4 days.
Bulgur is a wheat product, so it is not gluten-free. If you have a gluten intolerance, quinoa is a very good substitute and has a similar texture.
This bulgur and chickpea salad really couldn’t be easier to make! No cooking involved, which is always a bonus! Full of fresh flavors and healthy ingredients, this is one delicious dish with authentic Lebanese products and flavors infused!
More mediterranean salads:
- Mediterranean Potato Salad
- Mediterranean Chopped Salad
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Bulgur Chickpea Salad recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Bulgur Chickpea Salad
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup Cortas olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Cortas pomegranate molasses
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large garlic clove grated
- freshly cracked black pepper
For the Salad
- 1 cup extra fine #1 bulgur wheat you can buy the lighter color
- 2 plum tomatoes seeded diced
- 1 large cucumber seeded and diced
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 3 green onions trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped mint
- 1 can Cortas chickpeas rinsed and drained
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, oregano, garlic and black pepper until well combined.
- Add the bulgur to the dressing and let it soak until it is soft and plumped, about 15 minutes, fluffing occasionally.
- When ready, add the tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, green onions, mint and chickpeas on top of the bulgur. Gently toss to combine.
- Serve at room temperature or cold.