This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Enjoy these vegan tofu tacos for a quick, easy and delicious family meal. Seasoned tofu is served in tortillas with a fresh and zingy cabbage slaw for one delicious bite. Ready to serve in less than 20 minutes, these street style tacos are irresistible!
Ingredients & substitutions
- Tofu: Use firm tofu for this recipe. We press it before seasoning and cooking quickly in a skillet.
- Seasoning: You can use homemade taco seasoning or use your favorite store bought brand to flavor the tofu.
- Oil: For cooking. We like to use olive oil, but canola, vegetable or avocado will work well.
- Tortillas: Small four or corn tortillas work great for these tacos. Use hard shells if you like things crispy!
- Avocado: Diced avocado adds a great creamy texture and mild flavor. Guacamole is great to use too.
- For the slaw: Cabbage, red onion, cilantro, oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin and salt.
How to make tofu tacos
- Wrap the tofu in a paper towel.
- Weight it down with a skillet and cans.
- Remove the skillet after 30 minutes.
- Wipe dry and it’s ready to use.
season & cook tofu
- Cut the pressed tofu into cubes.
- Coat in the taco seasoning.
- Cook in a skillet to your liking.
Tips for cooking tofu
- Do not skip pressing the tofu. If you don’t do this to remove excess water, when you cook it it will remain soggy and won’t get crispy.
- Cut the tofu into fairly small cubes. Tofu cooks much better when it is cut into smaller pieces. Larger pieces won’t have as pleasing a texture or flavor.
- Don’t skimp on the cooking time. To get those crispy edges, allow the tofu to cook for a good 15 minutes for the perfect texture.
- Use a non-stick pan to cook tofu. Tofu does tend to stick when cooking, so use a cast-iron or non-stick skillet. Use a couple of tablespoons of oil to prevent sticking.
Frequently asked questions
Yes! Cooked tofu will keep well covered in the fridge for 3 to 5 days so it’s great for meal prep. Cook up a big batch of this to add to taco salad in the week! You can eat it cold, or reheat quickly in a skillet or bake in the oven at 360F til warmed through.
Tofu is often referred to as bland, but when prepared properly it will absorb all of the flavors from the seasoning. Be sure to press the tofu for at least 30 minutes to remove that excess water so that when you add the seasoning it is all soaked in. Cut the tofu small as well for the best flavor.
These plant based tofu tacos are a great meat-free addition to your taco Tuesday. So quick and easy to make and super delicious, these are a sure fir hit!
More taco recipes:
- Easy Ground Beef Tacos
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Coleslaw
- Mexican Street Tacos
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- Walnut Tacos
- Tempeh Tacos
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Tofu Tacos recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
- Wrap the tofu block in a paper towel and place in a shallow bowl or rimmed plate. Place a heavy skillet on top of the tofu and place some heavy objects, like canned or jarred foods, on top of the skillet. Allow the tofu to sit for 30 minutes to release its liquid.
- Remove the objects, skillet and paper towel and use a new paper towel to wipe off any excess moisture from the tofu. Cut the tofu into cubes and coat in the taco seasoning.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and transfer the seasoned tofu to the skillet, and cook until it begins to crisp, about 5 minutes. Then flip and cook for 5-10 more minutes, depending on your desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, toss the cabbage, red onions, cilantro, olive oil, lime zest and juice, garlic, cumin and salt together.
- Warm the tortillas in the skillet for 1 minute per side and wrap in a damp paper towel as you assemble the tacos. Fill each tortilla with a portion of the tofu, some coleslaw on top and avocados. Enjoy immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.