This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This black bean salsa is a fun and easy one to make anytime you’re craving a homemade salsa. It’s tangy, sweet and spicy and i’s almost more like a refreshing veggie salad for chips! Quick and easy to make, this healthy dip is the perfect appetizer if you are feeding a crowd.
The salsa is chunky and full of flavor thanks to the black beans cherry tomatoes, onion, beans, avocado, cilantro, cayenne and a dash of brown sugar and olive oil for good measure. Yum! You may not even need the chips if you have a spoon handy. Dive in, it’s that good!
- Black beans: Loaded with protein and fiber and they taste so good! Be sure to drain your beans and rinse them before using.
- Vegetables: Corn, tomatoes and red onions. You can also add bell peppers and even avocado at the end before serving the salsa.
- Green chilis: You can buy the canned ones that are diced and use their liquid. They add a subtle sweet heat to the salsa.
- Cilantro: Cilantro adds a wonderful freshness to this salsa. If you don’t like cilantro you can use parsley instead.
- Jalapeno pepper: Salsa is best with a bit of spice and that comes in the form of jalapeno pepper. You can adjust this to suit your taste.
- Lime juice: Use fresh lime juice rather than bottled, it’s so much zingier!
- Spices: Cumin, salt and pepper. You can also add coriander, sweet or smoked paprika or chili powder. It’s best to leave it simple though with just a small amount of spices.
How to make black bean salsa
- Mix together the beans, corn, tomatoes, red onions, jalapeno pepper and green chilis in a bowl. Season with the cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with lime juice, mix well and refrigerate before serving.
Tips to make this black bean salsa
- Make the salsa the night before serving. This will allow the flavors to blend together for a delicious bite. Don’t worry if you can’t though, it will still be delicious.
- Chop the ingredients into small uniformed pieces. The smaller the pieces, the easier it is to scoop and this helps to make sure that every bite is filled with all the ingredients.
- Mix the ingredients by hand. Don’t be tempted to use a food processor or it will turn soupy!
- Add avocados on top. For a more creamy consistency, fold in avocados right before serving the black bean salsa. It’s best if you’re going to enjoy the salsa within 24 hours though.
Frequently asked questions
Serve this salsa as a simple appetizer with a generous helping of tortilla chips, but it’s also great as a topping on all of your favorite Mexican inspired recipes. Try it with Beef Taco Burritos, Shrimp Fajita Bowls or Zucchini Enchiladas.
Once you have made the salsa, wrap it in plastic wrap or place in an airtight container. It will keep well for around 3 days.
I love how quick and easy it is to make a big batch of this black bean salsa. It’s great for entertaining, but also works so well as an after school snack or can even stand on its own to eat with a spoon!
More dip recipes
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feelgood Black Bean Salsa recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Black Bean Salsa
- Place the beans, corn, chiles, tomatoes, onions, jalapeno peppers and cilantro in a large bowl. Squeeze the lime juice on top, season with cumin, salt and pepper and toss gently to combine.
- Enjoy immediately at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour.
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips or top of tacos, salads and bowls.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.