It’s not Cinco de Mayo without salsa! This Spicy Black Bean Tomato Avocado Salsa is by far my favorite salsa to make.… tangy, sweet and spicy. It’s almost more like a refreshing veggie salad for chips! Quick and easy to make, this healthy dip is the perfect appetizer if you are feeding a crowd.
The salsa is chunky and full of flavor thanks to the cherry tomatoes, onion, beans, avocado, cilantro, cayenne and a dash of brown sugar and olive oil for good measure. Yum! You may not even need the chips if you have a spoon handy. Dive in, it’s that good!
Check out my post on how to cut an avocado for tips to make this salsa in no time at all!
How to make Spicy Black Bean Tomato Avocado Salsa
It’s so. quick and easy to make this yummy dip!
Mix together the beans, corn, tomatoes, pepper and onion in a bowl and season with the cilantro, cayenne and sugar. Drizzle with olive oil and lime juice, mix well and refrigerate before serving.
Tips to make this black bean salsa
- Make the salsa the night before serving. This will allow the flavors to blend together for a delicious bite. Don’t worry if you can’t though, it will still be delicious.
- Leave the avocado out if you are making it the night before. The avocado will brown quickly, so mix this in right before serving.
- Chop the ingredients into small uniformed pieces. The smaller the pieces, the easier it is to scoop!
- Mix the ingredients by hand. Don’t be tempted to use a food processor or it will turn soupy!
Frequently asked questions
What can you serve salsa with?
I like to serve this salsa as a simple appetizer with a generous helping of tortilla chips, but it’s also great as a topping on all of your favorite Mexican recipes. Try it with Beef Taco Burritos, Shrimp Fajita Bowls or Zucchini Enchiladas.
How long does this black bean salsa keep?
Once you have made the salsa, wrap it in plastic wrap or place in an airtight container. It will keep well for around 3 days. But if you are making it ahead of time, be sure not to add the avocado until you are ready to serve it.
Is salsa a healthy dip?
This salsa is made with fresh and healthy ingredients, and it’s definitely a snack you can feel good about eating. The beans add a good helping of protein and fiber and one serving comes in around 120 calories.
More dip recipes
I love how quick and easy it is to make a big batch of this black bean salsa. It’s great for entertaining, but I often make it as an after school snack too!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feelgood Black Bean Salsa recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Spicy Black Bean Tomato and Avocado Salsa
- 1 can black beans rinsed & dried
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/4 cup grape tomatoes diced
- 1 small sweet red pepper diced
- 2 tbsp red onions chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of half lime
- 1/2 avocado diced and mixed in before serving
- In a medium bowl, combine the black beans, corn, tomatoes, red pepper, and red onions.
- Season with cilantro, cayenne pepper and brown sugar.
- Drizzle olive oil and juice of half a lime and mix well.
- Cover, and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.
- When ready to serve, add the avocado and enjoy.
- I served mine with chia corn tortilla chips
- Storage: Since avocado are sensitive, if you make it ahead of time leave the avos out until just before serving. If you’d like to store it in the fridge, cover it with a piece of plastic wrap for about 3 days.
- Nutrition: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate only. It will vary based on the specific ingredients used.