Avocado Hummus Dip
What happens when hummus and guacamole get married and have a baby? You get this vibrant green avocado hummus dip – it’s a modern twist on two of my favorite dips…I think pretty much everyone’s favorite dips!
What I do first is wash the chickpeas and then peel them. If you warm them up in the microwave and add a tsp of baking soda, it helps speed the peeling process, but it’s not necessary. They come off very easily, and trust me, it makes *all* the difference in the texture of the hummus. As a Lebanese food blogger, I’m proud to say I’ve perfected my hummus. It’s the best hummus recipe you’ll ever try! And peeling the skin off is one of the biggest secrets to making it so perfect!
This is what the peeled chickpeas look like!
So, to my basic Lebanese style hummus recipe, I simply add three extra ingredients: cumin, ripe avocados and cilantro. Throw everything into your food processor and give it a whirl. A couple minutes later, you’ll get this vibrant smooth extra creamy dip that you’ll just want to face plant into it!
But instead, grab some veggies or pita chips and take a dip. This will be your new favorite snack of 2018!
- Perfect for healthy munching
- Perfect for game day snacking
- Perfect for burger or sandwich complimenting
- Perfect however you dip it, spread it, devour it!
How to Make Avocado Hummus Dip (1 min.)
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, rinsed/drained
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1-2 Tbsp hot water
- 2 small avocados, halved, pitted, peeled
- 2 Tbsp cilantro
- Place chickpeas in a bowl of water and rub them together to peel the skin (optional step, but helps create a creamy texture).
- Drain the garbanzo beans and transfer them to a food processor. Blend them alone until they become powder-like, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the lemon juice, tahini, garlic cloves, salt and cumin and blend until smooth.
- While the food processor is still running, slowly add the boiling hot water until the texture becomes smooth and creamy.
- Taste and adjust as needed by adding more lemon juice, tahini or salt.
- Add the avocado and cilantro and blend again until all the ingredients are well blended, and the hummus becomes light green.
- Serve with fresh vegetables or pita chips cold or at room temperature.