This Hummus with Ground Beef recipe is a simple, authentic and popular Middle Eastern meal - easy to make with your favorite hummus, beef and pine nuts!
If you are looking to take your hummus to the next level and beef it up (literally beef it up!) you should try this Hummus with Ground Beef recipe that is a popular Lebanese dish. I use my tried and true hummus recipe, and top it with cooked pine nuts and ground beef. Then I serve it with pita bread or homemade pita chips for a delicious appetizer or meal!
How do you make hummus with ground beef?
Start by frying the pine nuts with the olive oil. You want them to be golden in color and aromatic.
Next brown the ground beef seasoned with 7 Spice, salt and pepper. You can substitute the 7 Spice for cinnamon or All Spice. If you’d like you can also add finely chopped onions to the ground beef mixture, which is called hashweh in Arabic (translates to stuffing).
Next prepare your hummus and spread out into a very shallow bowl. You can use store bought hummus or try my easy hummus recipe for the smoothest creamiest hummus!
And then you’re ready to assemble the recipe. Add the warmed ground beef on top of the hummus, top it with the pine nuts and feel free to garnish with some parsley and tomatoes, if you’d like.
Tips to make hummus with ground beef
- Use canned or dried chickpeas for this recipe. I like to use canned, but you can also use dried if that’s what you have. To use dried chickpeas before blending, check out my How to cook chickpeas post.
- Add ice cubes to the blender. This sounds a bit crazy, but it totally works! It gives it a freshly churned ice cream-like texture to the hummus. I would recommend adding at the step with the tahini, lemon and garlic, especially if the hummus is looking grainy.
- Peel the chickpeas before blending them. I found that peeling the chickpeas, although a little tedious, can create such a difference in the texture of the hummus.
- Serve the hummus with ground beef warm. There’s no need to warm up the hummus, but make sure to have the beef and pine nuts warm before adding to the hummus and it brings down the temperature of the hummus and makes it extra delicious!
Frequently asked questions
Hummus freezes really well, I always make a big batch! Don’t freeze the hummus with the ground beef topping though. Transfer the hummus to an air tight container and it will keep well for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the fridge before serving and adding the toppings.
Homemade hummus will keep for about a week covered in the fridge. You can make the seasoned ground beef ahead of time and store it separately for 3 to 4 days. You can then combine everything to serve.
This fun twist on authentic hummus is one of my favorite Lebanese recipes that takes something we all love so much and turns it into a full satisfying meal complete with the pita.
More Middle Eastern dips:
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Hummus with Ground Beef recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
This Hummus with Ground Beef was originally published on October 5, 2017. I’m updating the recipe with newer photos. Here’s the original photo!
Hummus with Ground Beef
For the Hummus
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Hummus
- Place chickpeas in a bowl of water and rub them together to peel the skin (optional step, but helps create a creamy texture).
- Drain the garbanzo beans and transfer them to a food processor. Blend them alone until they become powder-like, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the lemon juice, tahini, garlic cloves and salt and 2-3 ice cubes, and blend for about 5 minutes until smooth. Taste and adjust as needed by adding more lemon juice or salt.
- Spoon the hummus onto a plate or bowl, and spread the hummus with the back of a spoon to create swirls.
For the Ground Beef & Pine Nuts
- In a medium size pan over medium heat, heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Add the pine nuts and toast until golden brown; set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the same skillet. Add the ground beef, season with 7 Spice, salt and pepper and cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer the ground beef over the hummus on the bowl. Top with the toasted pine nuts. Garnish with fresh parsley and drizzle olive oil around the platter. Serve at room temperature or warmed with pita bread or pita chips.