This vegan spinach artichoke dip is unbelievably creamy and cheesy while still being dairy free. It's so quick to throw together for an appetizer or party!
Spinach artichoke dip is one of those recipes that sounds pretty healthy in theory. It’s spinach and artichokes in dip form! Sounds about healthy, but not-so-much. That’s because it’s usually filled with sour cream, cream cheese and even shredded cheese. To lighten up this classic dish, I decided to go vegan. I’m not vegan, but I love turning to vegan substitutions to lighten up recipes I enjoy! That’s exactly what I did with this vegan spinach artichoke dip!
What do you need to make vegan spinach artichoke dip?
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this vegan dip. It’s all pretty basic ingredients that you can find at general grocery stores.
The dip is made up of two parts:
- The filling – There are two ingredients for the filling. First is frozen spinach that you’ll need to thaw and drain. Second is canned/jarred artichokes that you’ll need to drain and roughly chop so the pieces are smaller.
- The sauce – The sauce is made up of simple whole food ingredients like (soaked) cashews, almond milk, lemon juice, garlic and hot sauce. I also like to add some nutritional yeast to it. That may be the only not-so-basic pantry ingredient. Nutritional yeast is basically deactivated yeast that is known for its high amounts of B vitamins. That’s great if you eat plant-based food, since B vitamins are not as easy to find in vegan food. But nutritional yeast can also give vegan recipes to give a cheesy cheddar flavor.
How do you make vegan spinach artichoke dip?
So first we create the cheesy sauce. To do so, throw everything, except for the spinach and artichokes, in a blender and blend until the consistency is smooth and creamy. We’re basically making the sauce from pureed cashews that become creamy when mixed with almond milk. And I like to flavor it with garlic, lemon juice and hot sauce as well.
Then place the thawed frozen spinach and the drained artichokes in an oven-safe dish, and pour that cheesy sauce over the vegetables.
Now, just mix everything together until it’s well combined and all the spinach and artichokes are well coated by the vegan cheese sauce. Then, it’s ready to go in the oven!
When it comes out of the oven, you’ll get a bubbly hot (dairy-free!) spinach artichoke dip. The color will slightly transform from a cream color to a more yellow-ish one. So, you can mix it around when it comes out, but it’s not really necessary. Take out some crackers, bread, vegetables and get ready to dip!
Tips for making vegan spinach artichoke dip:
- Soak the cashews overnight to allow them to soften for creating the cashew cream. If you don’t have time or forgot the step the night before, you can also soak the cashews in very hot water for 1 hour. It doesn’t need to be covered either way.
- Chop the artichokes (and spinach if necessary) into smaller pieces. No one wants to take a bite of spinach artichoke dip and get only one large artichoke. For best flavor, chop them up roughly to help incorporate their briny flavor into the dish and for more even chip distribution.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the spinach. You can thaw frozen spinach in the fridge overnight or in a microwave. Chances are you’ll have lots of excess liquid though, which can lead to a runny dip. To avoid that, just squeeze the spinach with your hands until no more water comes out.
- Serve with something salty and crunchy for the ultimate snack satisfaction. Even though it’s vegan, this spinach artichoke dip is very similar to the classic kind. So you can enjoy it with pita chips, toasted baguette, tortilla chips, or even fresh vegetables to keep it gluten-free.
What I love about this vegan spinach artichoke dip is that it’s really easy to whip it up with very basic whole food ingredients and no cheese at all (or even vegan cheese for that matter)! It’s vegan, gluten-free and absolutely perfect for holiday entertaining!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feelgood Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Here are more dips recipes:
Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked at least 2 hours
- 1 cup almond milk or vegan yogurt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon plus zest (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 10-ounces bag frozen spinach thawed
- 1 14-ounces jar artichoke hearts chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a high-speed blender, combine the soaked cashews, almond milk (or yogurt), nutritional yeast, garlic, lemon, and hot sauce. Blend until all the ingredients are well combined, smooth and creamy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the creamy sauce to a large bowl. Add the thawed spinach, chopped artichokes to the bowl and stir to combine. In a large bowl, combine spinach, artichokes and sauce and stir to combine. Transfer this mixture to the baking dish and bake on the center rack for 20-25 minutes, until dip is bubbling and mostly set.
- Remove and serve immediately with your choice of crackers, chopped veggies or toast!