This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you’re craving the ultimate garlic cheese bread experience, look no further! The secret to the best garlic bread is fresh garlic, cheese, olive oil, and fresh herbs – an irresistible combination. Don’t be surprised if it ends up being the star of the show, as it is a tasty addition to any meal and is ready in 15 minutes!
Table of Contents
- why you’ll love this olive oil cheesy garlic bread
- Ingredients to make garlic cheese bread
- How to make the best garlic cheese bread recipe
- Tips for making the ultimate cheesy garlic bread
- popular substitutions & additions
- what to serve with your cheesy olive oil garlic bread
- how to store & reheat garlic cheese bread
- Frequently asked questions
- More bread recipes:
- Garlic Cheese Bread Recipe
You can make a simple loaf of bread irresistibly delicious with just a handful of ingredients. Serve this cheesy garlic bread recipe with soups and saucy recipes to soak up extra liquid, with salads and main entrees as a cheesy side dish or as an appetizer to start your meal with something extra special!
why you’ll love this olive oil cheesy garlic bread
- So easy to make. Just spread some garlic herb oil on the bread, top it with cheese, and bake in the oven until the cheese is brown and bubbly.
- The best garlicky flavor. Incorporating fresh garlic into this recipe adds the best aromatic element, resulting in a delicious and fragrant bread.
- Comfort food at its best! This homemade savory garlic bread fills your home with the best smell of toasty bread and garlic. It’s a family-favorite you just can’t get enough of!
Ingredients to make garlic cheese bread
- Garlic!! While I always have frozen garlic in my freezer to use in my recipes, when it comes to garlic bread, I love using freshly minced garlic to get that rich and robust garlic taste.
- Olive oil: Olive oil adds a richness to the bread and also crisps it up perfectly. Because it’s one of the main ingredients, I suggest using a high-quality olive oil for the best flavor.
- Cheeses: I use a blend of shredded mozzarella and parmigiano reggiano for the ultimate melty topping.
- Herbs: I use fresh parsley and chives and chop it finely.
- French bread: Any loaf bread will work, but French bread has a chewy texture inside with crisp edges once baked.
- Salt: just a pinch for flavor.
How to make the best garlic cheese bread recipe
This garlic bread recipe is incredibly easy and only requires a few simple prep steps, such as mincing the garlic and chopping fresh herbs. Once you’ve got everything ready, it’s just a matter of adding the ingredients to the bread and popping it in the oven.
Make Garlic & herbs Spread
- In a small bowl, add the freshly minced garlic, olive oil, parsley, chives, and salt.
- Whisk together and set aside.
Prepare and Bake Garlic Cheese Bread
- Place the two bread halves, cut side up, on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spoon and spread the garlic and herb mixture over the cut sides.
- Sprinkle each half evenly with both mozzarella and parmigiano reggiano.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the bread is crisp on the bottom.
Tips for making the ultimate cheesy garlic bread
- Choose a hearty bread. This recipe calls for French bread but you could also use an Italian bread loaf. Any bread that is thick and soft inside with a crusty shell.
- The fresher the better. As I mentioned above, fresh garlic is key, but I also suggest use fresh herbs.
- Let it rest before cutting. Give the bread a few minutes to cool before digging in for cleaner cuts.
- Finish it in the broiler. If you like the cheese to have some darkened spots on top, put the bread under the broiler for a few seconds right before you take it out the oven! Just be sure to keep an eye on it as the broiler works fast and you don’t want to burn the garlic bread.
popular substitutions & additions
- Customize your cheeses. I like a mix of mozzarella, which melts really well, and parmigiano reggiano, which adds sharpness. But you could swap out these cheeses for anything you want, including fontina, provolone—even cheddar! Just make sure whatever you choose will melt well and bring some great cheesy flavor to your garlic bread!
- Use roasted garlic. While I highly recommend using fresh garlic, I am happy to make an exception for roasted garlic. It’s a great substitute that adds a unique and delicious flavor to the bread. Because it’s less potent than fresh garlic, make sure to use plenty of it – I suggest using at least a whole head of roasted garlic for the best results and smoothing it into the oil before spreading it on the bread. You won’t regret it!
- Add pesto. Spread a layer of pesto on the bread instead of the garlic herb oil before adding the cheese. It’ll be extra herby and delicious.
- Swap out the herbs. Try fresh basil or oregano. Alternatively, you could substitute them with half the amount of dried herbs, although I recommend fresh.
what to serve with your cheesy olive oil garlic bread
- Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Garlic Butter Steak Bites
- Roasted Tomato Pasta
- Garlic Shrimp Spaghetti
- Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta
how to store & reheat garlic cheese bread
If you have leftovers of your cheesy garlic bread then you can save it by storing it in an airtight container in the fridge.
To reheat: Toast the garlic bread pieces in the oven at a lower temperature or in the air fryer until heated through and the cheese is melted.
how long will garlic bread with cheese last in the fridge?
Store leftovers up to 2-3 days in the fridge.
can i freeze cheese bread?
Sure! Freeze before baking by wrapping the cheese bread in foil before baking and freeze whole for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, just add a few extra minutes and bake from frozen.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, just melt the butter before mixing it with the garlic and herbs. The bread may be softer than when using oil.
To make toast, instead of toasting the whole loaf, slice the bread into slices like sandwich bread. Then top each slice with the garlic herb oil and cheese, toasting until melted and the bread has crisped up. Cut the slices as thick or thin as you like.
It’s not recommended to wrap the cheese bread in foil before baking as it can make the bread soggy. It’s best to bake the bread uncovered on a baking sheet or dish for a crispy texture and golden-brown cheese. Use parchment paper to catch any drips.
Homemade cheesy garlic bread is hands down the best way to enjoy such a simple recipe! Skip the store-bought and make your own freshly made bread to serve with all your favorite meals, especially for dunking into soups and rich pasta sauces!
More bread recipes:
- Homemade Pita Bread
- Baked Brie in Bread Bowl
- Veggie and Egg Stuffed Bread
- Tomato and Basil Bruschetta
- Homemade Croutons
- Savory Garlic Knots
- Zaatar Manakeesh
- Dinner Rolls
- Vegan Cornbread
If you try this feel good Garlic Cheese Bread recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
This Garlic Cheese Bread recipe was originally published on November 5, 2017. The recipe has not been modified, but the post now includes new step-by-step photos for how to make the garlic bread recipe.
Garlic Cheese Bread
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, grated garlic, fresh chopped parsley and chives, and salt.
- Place the two bread halves, cut sides up, on the prepared baking sheet. Spoon the garlic and herb olive oil evenly over the cut sides, and sprinkle evenly with the mozzarella and parmigiano reggiano.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the bread is crispy on the bottom. Cut each bread half crosswise into 8 pieces, sprinkle with extra fresh parsley, and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
Your recipes are awesome
Thank you so much, Penelope!
Just made the bread there along with meatballs. It was our first ever time making home made garlic bread. The bread was amazing. Thank you so much. Highly recommend. 😀
That sounds amazing! You’re so welcome!!
I LOVE bread!!! This garlic bread is great! A wonderful addition to my spaghetti and lasagna meals. Thanks for sharing.
Yay! So glad to hear it! Thanks so much for sharing 🙂
Thanks for the recipe! I’m making it with spaghetti for my daughter who is vegan. 🙂
Yay! I hope she enjoys it!
Hope you’re doing great…i tried your garlic bread recipe and i must admit IT WAS THE YUMMIEST GARLIC BREAD I EVER TASTED! tysm for that!
Thank you so much! So glad you enjoyed it!