This Creamy Mushroom Pasta is a vegetarian easy wholesome recipe that is easy to throw together on weeknights with basic pantry ingredients + mushrooms!
Make a restaurant style Creamy Mushroom Pasta in minutes that’s so easy to throw together and so full of flavor. All you’ll need is your favorite pasta, any mushrooms and garlic along with milk, flour and olive oil/butter to make a simple roux. It’s a delicious and decadent weeknight meal!
How do you make mushroom pasta
- Start by cooking the mushrooms with olive oil and black pepper (don’t add salt yet). You want them to be browned to release all their flavor and then add the garlic and salt for an extra minute of cooking. Set them aside.
- Next you’ll make the roux by melting butter with flour and then whisking in the milk. I like to add some dried thyme to the mix but you can use any seasoning you’d like.
- Now, you’ll combine the cooked pasta along with the roux sauce, the cooked mushrooms and any fresh herbs, if you’d like to add. Parsley is wonderful and mild with the mushroom pasta.
- Toss it together and make sure to taste to adjust for salt and pepper as needed.
I recommend that you reserve some pasta water after cooking the pasta. You can add it in there as you’re tossing together mushroom pasta so it doesn’t dry up too much while mixing. Be sure to serve it immediately, like all warm and wonderful pasta dishes should be served 😉
Tips for making mushroom pasta
- Use portobello mushrooms to intensify the mushroom flavor. I used standard white mushrooms that are easy to find, but if you find portobello mushrooms or special seasonal mushrooms, they can really elevate the taste!
- Don’t add the garlic and salt to the mushrooms immediately. The garlic only needs a minute to cook and become fragrant; and adding it any earlier might burn it. Adding the salt too early will release extra moisture from the mushrooms and we want to brown them without making them soggy.
- Cook the pasta al dente. That’s because you’ll add the cooked pasta back in the skillet with the sauce and the mushrooms and toss it all together. This will continue to cook the noodles slightly.
- Bulk it up with greens or protein. I love adding some pan seared green beans on the side of those or a protein like lemon salmon or grilled chicken tenders. You can cook any of those items in the pan, set them aside, then continue to cook the mushrooms and the sauce.
Frequently asked questions
Can you make it ahead of time?
Pasta is at it’s best when served as soon as it’s ready, but if you have leftovers they will keep well for up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge. You can then reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave. I sometimes like to add a couple of tablespoons of water when I’m reheating it to help loosen up the sauce.
Can you make it vegan?
With a couple of simple substitutions, it’s really easy to make this dish vegan. Simply substitute the milk for a plant based one to make the sauce. I like to use a fairly neutral milk like oat or almond. You can also make the dish gluten-free by using your favorite GF pasta and a 1:1 flour alternative.
Can you use any kind of pasta?
I like to use a long pasta like spaghetti or linguini, but this will work well with whatever pasta you have to hand. Fusilli or penne will both work well.
More vegetarian pasta recipes
- Oven Baked Spaghetti
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Ricotta Pasta
- Spaghetti with Meatballs
- Red Pepper Pasta
- Pasta Bake with Ground Turkey
- Vegan Creamy Tomato Pasta
- One Pan Pasta
I know not everyone is a fan of mushrooms, but for the mushroom fans out there, this garlicky creamy pasta dish is one that is full of so much flavor without much effort or ingredients. It comes together so quickly and it’s definitely one that we like to repeat around here!
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Creamy Mushroom Pasta recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then please come back to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- 8 ounces spaghetti or pasta of choice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- Grated parmesan cheese for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package instructions but reduce cooking time by 2 minutes so pasta is al dente; drain well and save 1 cup of pasta water.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, then add the mushrooms and black pepper, and cook until golden brown and softened, about 5-10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook with the mushrooms until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- In the same skillet used to cook the mushrooms, add the remaining olive oil over medium heat, add the flour and stir to combine. Slowly pour the milk on top, whisking to combine. Lower the heat and simmer until the mixture thickens.
- Add the cooked pasta on top, along with the mushrooms, fresh parsley and as much of the pasta water as you’d like. Toss to combine.
- Serve immediately with parmesan cheese, if desired.