This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Fresh and delicious, this kale Caesar salad recipe is one delicious side dish. Tossed in a creamy and tangy Caesar dressing and finished with crispy breadcrumbs and avocado, it’s a great accompaniment to any meal.
Ingredients to make the salad
- Kale: De-stem and tear the kale leaves into smaller pieces. Use your hands to massage the kale in the dressing to make it tender. You an use common curly kale, lacinato kale or any other variety.
- Dressing: The Caesar dressing is made with mayonnaise, parmesan, lemon zest and juice, capers, garlic, Dijon mustard and black pepper. Feel free to use store-bought to make the recipe quicker.
- Breadcrumbs: Panko breadcrumbs are browned and toasted in oil with a little garlic powder. This helps to get them extra crispy. In a pinch you can use fine breadcrumbs, but they won’t have the same crunch to them.
- Avocados: Finish the kale salad with some diced avocado. It adds a great creamy soft texture and mild flavor, plus a few healthy nutrients!
How to make kale caesar salad
make the dressing
- Add the ingredients for the dressing to a bowl or small blender.
- Mix together until well combined.
toast the breadcrumbs
- Add the breadcrumbs and garlic powder to hot oil in a skillet.
- Toast until fragrant from the garlic powder and golden brown.
assemble the salad
- Massage the kale with the dressing and add the breadcrumbs.
- Toss together and add the diced avocado to serve.
Tips for making the kale salad
- Thin out the dressing if you prefer. This is a pretty thick dressing since the mayo and parmesan cheese making up the bulk of it. You can thin it out with some water or more lemon juice.
- Blend the dressing for a smoother consistency. Aside from the capers, the ingredients blend very well together with just a fork. If you wanted a smoother consistency without the chunks of capers, try making the dressing in a small blender. In that case, it’s a good idea to make it in bulk too and use later for other salads or even as a marinade.
- Massage the kale leaves. When you add the dressing on top of the torn kale, use your hands to massage the dressing into the leaves. Tongs work well, but using your hands make the leaves softer and really works the dressing into the salad better.
- Add protein for a fuller meal. This salad works really well as an appetizer or side salad. But to make it a fuller meal, consider some grilled salmon, grilled chicken or shrimp skewers.
Frequently asked questions
Kale is a great option when making salads ahead of time as it doesn’t wilt like other greens like lettuce or spinach. It will easily keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 days, just don’t add the avocado until you are ready to serve as this will start to brown. The dressing will keep well by itself for around a week in the fridge.
The Caesar dressing doesn’t contain the traditional anchovies, instead it uses capers to get that salty and tangy flavor. The dressing does contain parmesan, so if you are vegetarian, you can swap this for a rennet free hard cheese instead.
Fresh and delicious and so easy to make, this kale Caesar salad comes together so easily and is loaded with texture and flavor. The dressing is so rich and creamy and you will love that you can make it ahead of time!
More delicious salads:
- Caprese Pasta Salad with Pesto
- Lebanese Tabbouleh Salad
- Quinoa Avocado Salad
- Classic Greek Salad
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Avocado Blueberry Salad
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Kale Caesar Salad recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Kale Caesar Salad
For the Dressing
- In a medium bowl, mix mayonnaise, Parmesan, lemon zest, lemon juice, capers, garlic, mustard and black pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the panko breadcrumbs, and garlic powder, and cook stirring frequently until browned and toasted, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and toss to combine. Add the garlic breadcrumbs and toss again to combine. Add the diced avocados and serve at room temperature.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.