If you’re looking for easy chicken recipes, this one is for you! These oven fried chicken tenders are not actually fried, but baked in the oven. Easy to make and ready in 30 minutes, these crispy chicken tenders make a perfect weeknight meal.
Enjoy the taste of fried chicken without the frying! These chicken tenders get so crispy in the oven, so it has a similar effect to fried chicken – in a healthy way. Aside from the major-reduction in grease factor on your fingers, I think these taste just as good or even better than traditional fried chicken. They’re juicy, crispy and so easy to whip together.
They are great to serve with my Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries!
How to make oven fried chicken tenders
Mix together the egg mixture in one bowl and the breadcrumb mixture in another. One by one dip the chicken into the egg then the breadcrumb and lay on to a parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake in the oven until crispy and golden. It’s that simple!
I topped them off with some fresh parsley and we just dipped them in ketchup. They’re so addicting!
Oh Oven Fried Chicken Tenders, you never let me down!
Tips To Make Oven Baked Chicken Tenders
- Make them extra crispy. If you want them extra crispy, you can also cook them on a wire rack over the baking dish, but most days I just want convenience, so I opt for the parchment paper that I can simply toss afterwards.
- Tenderize the tenders before coating them. Lightly press each tender with a fork, this will help to soften the fibers in the chicken and make them less chewy.
- Set up your dredging station first. When you dredge the tenders, try to keep one hand wet and one dry and this will help you to stop getting in a mess!
- Spread the tenders in a single layer on the baking sheet. This will help them get crispy all over so make sure they aren’t touching.
Frequently asked questions
What makes these oven fried chicken tenders different?
I like to whisk eggs with mustard to give them a juicy inside with a slight spicy flavor from the mustard. And I prefer to use panko breadcrumbs over traditional breadcrumbs because they have more of a crunch, especially if you toast them beforehand.
What are chicken tenders?
Tenders are the piece of meat found just behind the breast of the chicken. They are a small and tender piece of chicken that is very lean and low in fat. If you can’t get tenders, you can substitute with strips of chicken breast.
Can you make oven fried chicken tenders ahead of time?
These chicken strips are best enjoyed straight out of the oven, but you can make them ahead of time and freeze them too. Prepare the chicken and then freeze them for up to 3 months. You can cook them straight from frozen for an easy weeknight meal.
These tenders are so perfect for an appetizer or as part of a larger meal. My kids love them and they are for sure a family favorite!
For more chicken recipes, check out:
- Spatchcock Chicken
- Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Air Fried Chicken
- Tortilla Crusted Chicken
- Pickle Brined Chicken Tenders
If you’ve tried this feel good Oven Fried Chicken Tenders recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Oven Fried Chicken Tenders
- 12 1 1/4 lbs chicken tenders or skinless breasts cut into strips
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 Tbsp mustard
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Ketchup or your favorite condiment, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay the chicken tenders on a paper towel to try them and slightly tenderize them with a fork. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the eggs, mustard and salt and pepper. In another medium size bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs, paprika and dried thyme. You can also use a ziplock bag for the panko mixture.
- Dip the chicken into the eggs mixture, then toss into the panko mixture. Dust off any excess panko mixture and lay the chicken tenders on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat for the remaining chicken and spread them out on the baking sheet so they are not touching.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, until the chicken is golden.
- Enjoy warm with ketchup or any other sauce, if desired.