These Mexican inspired appetizers are quick and easy to make and loaded with flavor! Chicken taco cups are perfect finger food to serve to friends and family!
You are going to love these quick and easy chicken taco cups! This simple fun appetizer idea is a great way to use up leftover chicken and it’s made with only 5 ingredients! A fun appetizer to serve a crowd, the chicken cups are loaded with Mexican flavors – one is not enough!
How to make chicken taco cups
- Combine the shredded chicken with the seasoning and salsa of choice.
- Place the wonton wrappers in a greased muffin tin.
- Fill each cup with the chicken mixture, top with cheese and place another wonton wrapper on the top.
- Repeat the layer and top with cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the edges of the wontons are golden brown.
Tips for making chicken taco cups
- Use pre cooked chicken for this recipe. You can use leftover roast or rotisserie chicken or bake up a couple of chicken breasts to use.
- Grease the muffin tin before adding the wonton wrappers. If you don’t, they will stick to the tin and likely rip when removing. If you have a great non-stick pan, you might be able to skip this step.
- Use tortillas if you can’t find mini wonton wrappers. You can cut a tortilla into smaller squares or smaller circles to make these chicken cups with them instead.
Frequently asked questions
The chicken filling can be mixed ahead of time and kept covered in the fridge for 2 to 3 days. I don’t like to pre fill the wonton cups or they can get soggy before baking.
I like to serve these straight out of the oven as they are so quick to cook. You can keep leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Think of these cups like tacos! You can use all of your favorite toppings! Try them with:
More appetizer ideas:
- Guacamole Dip with Corn
- Grilled Halloumi
- Tomato Caprese Salad
- Vegetable Spring Rolls
- Tomato Basil Bruschetta
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Chicken Taco Cups recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then please come back to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Chicken Taco Cups
- 1 lb chicken breast shredded
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- ½ cup salsa
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 cup Mexican cheese
- Sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Generously coat a standard size muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine cooked chicken, taco seasoning, and salsa in a bowl and stir to combine. Line each cup of prepared muffin tin with a wonton wrapper. Add 1.5 tablespoons taco mixture. Top with 1 tablespoon of cheese. Press down and add another layer of wonton wrapper, taco mixture, and a final layer of cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes until cups are heated through and edges are golden.