This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These taco wonton cups are crispy, bite-sized, and perfect for your next party. They are stuffed with juicy shredded chicken, fresh salsa, taco seasoning, and gooey cheddar cheese. All you need is a muffin tin to hold your wonton tacos and a bowl to mix the filling together. The best part is that they only take a few minutes to make and only 10 minutes to bake!
You are going to love these quick and easy chicken taco cups! This simple, fun appetizer idea. It is a great way to use up leftover chicken, and it’s made with only 5 ingredients! You can make these taco cups for dinner as well. Just add a side salad or Mexican rice and beans.
why you’ll love these wonton taco cups
- The crunch. Seriously, the crunch is just unbeatable. The wonton wrapper gets nice and crispy in the oven, making for one delicious bite.
- The flavor. I loaded these wonton taco cups up with all of my favorite Mexican flavors. There’s juicy shredded chicken, fresh salsa, taco seasoning, and shredded cheddar cheese. So good!
- They’re easy to make. These wonton taco cups could not be easier to make. Just mix up the filling, stuff the wonton wrappers, and bake! So simple and so delicious.
- They’re perfect for parties. Whether you’re hosting a big game day party or a small get-together with friends, these wonton taco cups will be a hit!
- Kid-friendly. My kids love these wonton taco cups, and they’re always one of the first to disappear at parties. They’re perfect for little hands and big appetites!
Ingredients to make chicken taco cups
- Chicken: I used shredded chicken breast, but you could also use ground chicken. A rotisserie chicken would work great, too!
- Taco seasoning: Just a little bit of taco seasoning goes a long way in these wonton taco cups. If you don’t have any on hand, you can use this homemade taco seasoning recipe.
- Cheese: I used cheddar cheese, but you could also use Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese.
- Salsa: Use your favorite salsa. I like to use fresh salsa with cilantro, onions, and diced tomatoes. You can find fresh salsa in the produce department of most grocery stores.
- Wonton wrappers: You’ll find these in the refrigerated section at your grocery store by the produce usually. They’re usually near the egg roll wrappers.
How to make chicken taco cups
To make these wonton tacos, you’ll need to follow two simple steps:
Mix chicken taco Filling
- Combine the shredded chicken with the seasoning and salsa of choice in a large bowl.
- Mix everything together until the chicken is well coated.
Bake in Muffin Tin
- Place the wonton wrappers in a greased muffin tin.
- Fill each cup with the chicken mixture. Top with cheese and place another wonton wrapper on the top.
- Repeat the layer and top with cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the edges of the wontons are golden brown.
Tips for making taco wontons
- Use pre-cooked chicken for this recipe. You can use leftover roast or rotisserie chicken or bake up a couple of chicken breasts to use.
- Grease the muffin tin before adding the wonton wrappers. If you don’t, they will stick to the tin and likely rip when removed. If you have a great non-stick pan, you might be able to skip this step.
- Use tortillas if you can’t find mini wonton wrappers. You can cut a flour tortilla into smaller squares or smaller circles to make these chicken cups with them instead.
- Don’t skip the double layers. I found that a single layer of the wontos, chicken and cheese ends up making the bottom of the wonton too soft. The extra layer helps them crisp better.
- Let the chicken marinate. If you have time, premix your chicken with your salsa and let it marinate together for an hour or two. This will give the chicken even more flavor!
popular substitutions & additions
- Make spicy taco cups. If you want to add some heat to these taco cups, you can add diced jalapeños to the chicken mixture or use pepper Jack cheese. A chipotle pepper in adobo sauce also adds wonderful heat and a smokey flavor.
- Add black beans. Black beans are a great way to add more protein and fiber to these wonton taco cups. Just mix them in with the chicken mixture before filling the wonton wrappers.
- Make vegetarian taco cups. You can easily make these into vegetarian tacos by omitting the chicken and adding more vegetables to the mixture. Try adding corn, black beans, diced bell peppers, or shredded zucchini.
- Or make them with ground beef. If you’re not a fan of chicken, you can use ground beef in these wonton taco cups. Just cook the beef until it’s browned and add it to the mixture with the rest of the ingredients.
what to serve with your mini taco cups
Think of these cups like quick tacos! You can use all of your favorite toppings! Try them with:
how to store & reheat taco cups
These taco cups are best eaten fresh, but you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat them in the oven at 350°F until the wonton has crisped back up and the center is warmed through. You can also reheat them in the microwave, but they won’t be as crispy.
How long will wonton taco cups last in the fridge?
You can store these in the fridge for up to three days. Beyond that, the wonton wrappers will start to get soggy and won’t be as crisp when reheated.
Frequently asked questions
The chicken filling can be mixed ahead of time and kept covered in the fridge for 2 to 3 days. I don’t like to pre-fill the wonton cups, or they can get soggy before baking.
This recipe will make 12 to 15 mini chicken taco cups, depending on how full you fill them.
I don’t recommend freezing these as the wonton wrappers can get soggy when reheated. If you do freeze them, bake them directly from frozen. They might need an extra minute or two in the oven.
These taco cups are the perfect appetizer or even main course for your next party! They’re easy to make and can be customized with all of your favorite toppings. Plus, they’re a great way to use up any leftover chicken you might have. So give this recipe a try and let me know what you think!
More appetizer recipes:
- Guacamole Dip with Corn
- Grilled Halloumi
- Artichoke Tahini Dip
- Tomato Caprese Salad
- Roasted Garlic Hummus
- Vegetable Spring Rolls
- Deviled Eggs
- Tomato Basil Bruschetta
- Creamy Feta Cheese Dip
- Crispy Cheese Rolls (Rakakat)
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
If you try this feel good Chicken Taco Cups recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
This Tomato Rice recipe was originally published on August 11, 2017. The recipe has not been modified, but the post now includes new step-by-step photos for how to make the chicken taco cups
Taco Cups with Chicken and Cheese
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- ½ cup salsa
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream for serving
- Sliced green onions for serving
- Chopped tomatoes for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Generously coat a 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine cooked chicken, taco seasoning, and salsa in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Line each cup of prepared muffin tin with a wonton wrapper. Add 1 tablespoon of the chicken taco mixture and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of cheese. Press down and add another layer of wonton wrapper, taco mixture, and a final layer of cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cups are heated through and the edges are golden and crispy, about for 10-12 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and green onions, if desired
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.