I cannot resist making a caprese salad when I find such yummy heirloom tomatoes! Heirlooms are cream-of-the-crop, always bursting with flavor and come in lots of unique shapes and colors, including purple, yellow, white, orange, pink, red, green, black, and even striped!
Heirloom means that the seed has been passed down from generation to generation, which makes them more authentic (less Monsanto) and arguably more delicious than a traditional hybrid beefsteak tomato. Heirlooms are also open-pollinated which means nature takes it’s course and they aren’t cross-bred for enhancement and mass production.
The Heirloom Tomato Caprese Salad is a classic recipe but absolutely looks like a million bucks and the flavor tastes like a mouthful of summer. (Yes, please!)
Slice up fresh mozzarella, colorful heirlooms, garden picked basil and drizzle with a honey balsamic vinaigrette for a mouth-watering salad appetizer.
More similar salad recipes
- Caprese Pasta Salad with Pesto
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Avocado Pasta Salad
- Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes
- Avocado Caprese Salad
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Tomato Caprese Salad recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Heirloom Tomato Caprese Salad
- 1 dozen heirloom tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tbsp honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk the extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey and kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Add the tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and oregano and toss everything together to coat.
- Serve as is or with toasted sourdough bread