This easy 10 minute salad is a delicious and vibrant side. Dressed in a lemon and olive oil dressing, it's light, refreshing and full of flavor.
This simple Lebanese cabbage salad is super quick and easy to make and is so vibrant and fresh. Dressed in a tangy lemon and olive oil dressing, it’s a perfect side to accompany all of your favorite summer mains like chicken kabobs and beef kafta.
Ingredients to make Lebanese cabbage salad
- Cabbage: Use green cabbage for this recipe. It has a great peppery flavor and is wonderfully crunchy and more traditional. I often make this salad using the smaller leaves left over from making stuffed cabbage.
- Tomatoes: Diced tomatoes add a lovely sweetness to the dish. I used plum tomatoes, but cherry will also work.
- Green Peppers: Green peppers add a slight bitterness that works really well with the other ingredients. Get my tips for how to cut bell peppers so you have perfectly diced peppers.
- Cilantro: Cilantro adds a nice freshness to the dish. You can also use parsley or fresh mint.
- Dressing: The dressing is equal parts olive oil and lemon juice along with salt and crushed red pepper. While the sumac is not pictured here, I love adding sumac to this salad, which gives it extra acidity that pairs well with the olive oil. You can also add some dried mint.
Tips for making cabbage salad
- Shred the cabbage, don’t cut the cabbage. You can use a knife to shred the cabbage finely, but it can be tedious. I find a wide vegetable peeler (affiliate link) is the best way to accomplish this quickly!
- Don’t skip the fresh herbs! It really lifts the dish and makes it fresh and summery. If you don’t like cilantro, you can substitute this for parsley.
- Cut the tomatoes and green peppers into similar sized small pieces. This will make the salad easier to combine and everything will get distributed evenly.
Frequently asked questions
When cabbage sits, it releases water, so it’s best to serve this salad within 4 hours of making it. The dressing can be made up to 5 days ahead of time and stored in the fridge.
Traditionally green cabbage is used, but you can use red if you prefer. They have similar flavors, but red is lightly more peppery. I like to use green which is milder.
I like to serve this salad in the same way as coleslaw. It’s great with grilled chicken, fish and steak and I’ve even been known to top fish tacos with it!
More summer salads:
- Healthy Coleslaw
- Lebanese Fattoush Salad
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Corn Tomato Avoado Salad
- Healthy Tuna Salad
- Healthy Egg Salad
- Avocado Chicken Salad
If you’ve tried this feel good Lebanese Cabbage Salad recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Lebanese Cabbage Salad
For the salad
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup diced green peppers
- ¼ cup packed chopped cilantro
For the dressing
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sumac optional
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- In a small bowl, mix the ingredients of the dressing together.
- Place shredded green cabbage tomatoes, green peppers and chopped parsley in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the coleslaw and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.