This avocado chicken salad recipe is a healthier, lightened up version of a classic sandwich filling. This salad is made with no mayonnaise, but is still creamy and full of flavor. I love serving this in a croissant for a tasty light lunch full of goodness.
Where are my chicken salad fans? We’ve all had chicken salad sandwiches with mayo and they are classic comfort sandwiches that truly never disappoint. But avocado is the super hero ingredient of the year (of the decade?!) and it’s plant-based buttery dreamy consistency makes it such an awesome substitute for mayonnaise.
A Healthy No Mayo Avocado Chicken Salad
So, don’t get me wrong…avocado by no means tastes like mayonnaise. But because of its consistency when mashed, because of it’s high fat (good fat, totally good fat!) content, it’s been showing up around tons of recipes in place of mayo. I have no beef with mayo actually and I do enjoy it on a sammich from time-to-time, but avocado and I are BFFs, let’s be honest. So instead of straight up mayo, I mashed an avocado, added low fat yogurt, lime, garlic and salt and pepper and that dressing was the base of this Avocado Hero Sandwich.
This is a modern take on the classic chicken sandwich. I’ll never dis the classics, but I love adding a modern twist with fresh and light ingredients that leave your tummy happy. The croissant, admittedly, is on the more indulgent side, but you can totally put this on a bagel, Ezekiel sandwich bread, tortilla wrap, or just eat it as is.
How to make Avocado Chicken Salad in a Croissant Sandwich
In a large mixing bowl, mash the avocado, then add the plain yogurt, lime and garlic powder; season with salt and pepper. Whisk together until combined. You can also place all the ingredients in a mason jar and shake it up really well.
Add the chicken, celery and green onions to the large bowl with the dressing. Stir to combine.
Cover the mixture and store in the fridge for 4 hours or more to set.
Slice each croissant roll in half. Spread about 1/2 cup of chicken salad over bottom half. Top with the other half of the croissant. Repeat for the remaining croissants.
Serve and enjoy!
Top tips for making Avocado Chicken Salad in a Croissant Sandwich
- Use a low-fat yogurt to cut down on calories and fat content – you won’t notice the difference!
- Use a large bowl to mix the ingredients – you’ll make less mess and it’s easier to combine everything.
- Use chicken breast which is lower in fat, and buy free range / organic.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does the Avocado Chicken Salad keep?
Keep any leftover salad in an airtight container in the fridge, and it will keep for up to two days. Do not leave the chicken out at room temperature or it will go bad.
What can you serve with Avocado Chicken Salad?
I love serving this chicken salad in a croissant, the flavors all work really well together. If you are gluten-free, you can serve it on gluten-free bread, and if you are following a low carb or keto diet you can use a low carb wrap or a large lettuce leaf. This salad also works well as a summer side dish.
How many calories are in this Avocado Chicken salad?
This recipe makes enough for four servings and each serving comes in at less that 120 calories a serving. If you choose to serve it on a croissant, it’s only 400 calories, so it’s a fresh lunch option that is loaded with protein and healthy fats! Gimme Gimme!
This is such a great salad to have in your repertoire, it’s easy and quick to make and the lack of mayo means that you can enjoy this as part of an everyday lunch. It’s so creamy and packed full of healthy ingredients – I can’t wait for you guys to try this!
More summer salads:
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Avocado Chicken Salad recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Avocado Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 4 Croissant rolls or other bread of choice
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the avocado, then add the plain yogurt, lime and garlic powder; season with salt and pepper. Whisk together until combined. You can also place all the ingredients in a mason jar and shake it up really well.
- Add the chicken, celery and green onions to the large bowl with the dressing. Stir to combine.
- Cover the mixture and store in the fridge for 4 hours or more to set.
- Slice each croissant roll in half. Spread about 1/2 cup of chicken salad over bottom half. Top with the other half of the croissant. Repeat for the remaining croissants.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store any remainder chicken salad in an airtight container for up to 2 days.