Avocado Chicken SaladJump To Recipe
- Serves: 4 servings
This Avocado Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwich is a lightened-up version of the classic chicken salad made without mayonnaise - it's nutrition packed power lunch!
- Author: Yumna Jawad
Avocado Chicken Salad
Where are my chicken salad fans? We’ve all had chicken salad sandwiches with mayo and they are classic comfort sandwiches that truly never disappoint. But avocado is the super hero ingredient of the year (of the decade?!) and it’s plant-based buttery dreamy consistency makes it such an awesome substitute for mayonnaise.
So, don’t get me wrong…avocado by no means tastes like mayonnaise. But because of its consistency when mashed, because of it’s high fat (good fat, totally good fat!) content, it’s been showing up around tons of recipes in place of mayo. I have no beef with mayo actually and I do enjoy it on a sammich from time-to-time, but avocado and I are BFFs, let’s be honest. So instead of straight up mayo, I mashed an avocado, added low fat yogurt, lime, garlic and salt and pepper and that dressing was the base of this Avocado Hero Sandwich.
Pretty simple ingredients all mixed up to make a magical sandwich!
This is a modern take on the classic chicken sandwich. I’ll never dis the classics, but I love adding a modern twist with fresh and light ingredients that leave your tummy happy. The croissant, admittedly, is on the more indulgent side, but you can totally put this on a bagel, Ezekiel sandwich bread, tortilla wrap, or just eat it as is. Overall, it’s only 400 calories with the croissant, so it’s a fresh lunch option that is loaded with protein and healthy fats! Gimme Gimme!
I hope you love this healthy-ish feelgood Avocado Chicken Salad recipe. If you make it, please leave me a comment telling me how you like it, or use hashtag #feelgoodfoodie on Instagram so I can see your recreations.
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 4 Croissant rolls or other bread of choice
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the avocado, then add the plain yogurt, lime and garlic powder; season with salt and pepper. Whisk together until combined. You can also place all the ingredients in a mason jar and shake it up really well.
- Add the chicken, celery and green onions to the large bowl with the dressing. Stir to combine.
- Cover the mixture and store in the fridge for 4 hours or more to set.
- Slice each croissant roll in half. Spread about 1/2 cup of chicken salad over bottom half. Top with the other half of the croissant. Repeat for the remaining croissants.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store any remainder chicken salad in an airtight container for up to 2 days.