My recipe for Healthy Egg Salad is perfect for lunches. I make it healthier by replacing the mayo with greek yogurt. It's fast, full of flavor and filling!
If you love egg salad, but hesitant to make it often because it’s high in calories or fat, this healthy egg salad is a great recipe to try! I offer some healthy substitutes like switching out the mayonnaise for Greek yogurt, for example. But aside from that, I also show you four ways to enjoy egg salad that’s not just slapped between two pieces of sliced bread.
This is a great recipe for school or work that will keep you feeling full and satiated!
How do you make egg salad healthier
This healthy egg salad is very similar to the classic recipe. But I make it healthier by:
- Swapping the mayonnaise for greek yogurt – it has lower calories, lower fat and higher protein making it very diet friendly. Plus it’s pretty creamy so it creates a rich consistency that we all know (and love!) about egg salad.
- Adding celery to the mix – this bulks up the egg salad so it feels like we’re eating more quantity but the calories are actually less per serving. The celery also gives the egg salad a nice crunch, which is very darn satisfying
- Using lemon zest in the dressing – the peel of lemons has pectin, which is often cited to promote weight loss. Plus it gives it such a bright and refreshing taste!
- Offering four different healthy ways to enjoy it – two of the ways are low-carb (without bread), which makes it perfect for those on a keto (ketogenic) diet.
Steps to make the recipe
1. Cook the eggs however you’d like.
- Option a) is to cook on a stovetop for 6 minutes after boiling.
- Option b) is to cook in your Instant Pot by placing the eggs on a trivet, adding 1 cup of water and selecting Pressure Cook for 5 minutes, then vent immediately.
- Option c) is to bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 325°. With all options, it’s important to immerse the eggs in a bath of ice water immediately afterwards to stop the cooking. Then peel and chop the eggs.
2. Im a medium bowl, mix the dressing.
3. Throw in the celery and parsley afterwards and slightly toss.
4. Now it’s time to fold in the chopped eggs.
What to eat with egg salad
That’s all it takes to make this easy peasy Healthy Egg Salad. It’s full of flavor, very fast to make and super filling with all that protein! And now you can enjoy it any way you’d like!
Like in sandwich with an everything bagel. This is everything!
Or in a lettuce cup. This one’s for you keto and low-carb friends.
On top of toasted sliced baguettes. This is fun for brunch
Or how about just in a salad?! A Healthy Egg Salad “Salad.” Gotta love that!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Healthy Egg Salad recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
More summer salads:
Healthy Egg Salad
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 1/3 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- Cook the eggs on a stovetop for 6 minutes after boiling. Alternatively you can use the oven method or the Instant Pot method.
- Peel the eggs and roughly chop; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, dijon mustard, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Add the chopped celery and parsley, and stir to combine. Place the chopped eggs into the bowl and stir again to combine with the dressing.
- Serve the egg salad in a sandwich, lettuce cups, salad or even as a dip.
- Insta Pot Instructions: To boil the eggs in an Insta Pot, add 1 cup of water, placing eggs on a trivet and pressing Pressure Cook for 5 minutes, then vent right away and place in cold water.
- Store any leftover healthy egg salad in a airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. For best results, stir before serving.