This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
In just ten minutes, you can whip up this supremely delicious Apple Quinoa Salad that is packed with flavor, texture, color and nutrition. Whether you are a fan of salads for lunch or dinner, this vegan salad will keep you feeling full and satiated; enjoy on its own as a main dish or side salad.
Ingredients to make the quinoa salad
- Apples: Apples add a great crunch texture and their sweetness works so well with the other ingredients – perfect for fall when apples are at their peak.
- Quinoa: Packed with proteins (even more than some meat sources), quinoa is an excellent base for this salad that acts like a grain but actually makes the salad more filling!
- Walnuts: These make the salad more appealing with their flavor and crunch, and actually have amazing antioxidant benefits.
- Spinach: Spinach is an amazing source of iron and vitamins A, C and K.
- Red onions: Red onions are milder that white or yellow and they work great in salads.
- Cranberries: Dried cranberries add pops of flavor and they have a tangy sweetness that works so well in salads.
- Dressing: Made with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, dijon mustard, salt and pepper
How to make apple quinoa salad
- Toast the quinoa seeds before adding water and cooking until soft.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing.
- Place the salad ingredients in a bowl, pour over dressing and toss to combine.
Tips to make this quinoa apple salad
- Wash the quinoa under running water before cooking it. If you don’t, it can taste bitter.
- Toast the quinoa before cooking it in water. This brings out the nuttiness to bring richness and flavor to the salad. Check out my tips for cooking quinoa.
- Cool the quinoa before adding to the salad ingredients. Otherwise, the heat from the quinoa will quickly wilt the spinach, thereby losing the salad’s freshness.
- Don’t add the apples if you are planning to make this salad a day or too ahead of time. Apples brown quickly so add them in before serving.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, this salad will keep well, covered in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. If you are making it ahead, add in the apples before serving so that they don’t brown.
If you don’t have quinoa, you can easily make this recipe with other grains such as wild rice, barley or cous cous.
For lunch or dinner, salads like this vegan apple quinoa salad are fantastic to add to your repertoire.
For more quinoa recipes, check out:
- Quinoa Avocado Salad
- Chicken and Quinoa Bowl
- Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
- Quinoa Burger
- Quinoa Breadsticks
- Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Apple Quinoa Salad recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Apple Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups spinach roughly chopped
- 1 cup walnuts roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cups diced apples
- ¼ cup cranberries
- ¼ cup red onion finely chopped
- Place the quinoa in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Toast until the seeds start to pop and become aromatic. Add 2 cups of water to the quinoa and bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to low. Cover and simmer the quinoa for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep covered for an additional 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and season with salt.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- When the quinoa is cool, place it in a bowl and add all the ingredients for the salad on top. Pour the dressing on top and stir gently to combine. Serve at room temperature or chilled.