Quinoa BurgerJump To Recipe
- Serves: 4 servings
This vegan quinoa burger recipe is easy, healthy and packed with protein. There's no food processor required and it comes together quickly in one bowl!
- Author: Yumna Jawad
The idea of a vegan quinoa burger for meat eaters may seem strange. Why bother making something vegan if you can have the real deal? Because it tastes soooo good, you guys!
Ok, maybe that’s not enough of a reason for you haha. But for me, I don’t like to eat red meat too often. And I like surprising my body with new textures, new tastes and hey, new protein sources. Because you know this quinoa burger is loaded with non-meat protein power. Each patty has 10 grams of protein. And it’s only 200 calories per patty!
So why not switch it up with some non-meat stuff for your protein bite? It’s literally quinoa, black beans, tomato paste and breadcrumbs. And I also season it so it doesn’t just taste like quinoa, black beans, tomato paste and breadcrumbs mashed together. It’s a powerhouse patty not only packed with protein, but also fiber and flavorrrrr. To me, it beats any of the frozen packaged quinoa burgers you find in the freezer isle.
I start by mashing rinsed/drained black beans. I mix that with the quinoa, tomato paste, seasoning and breadcrumbs.
It makes 4 good size patties.
Then I grill the patties for a few minutes per side to get the quinoa burgers lightly crispy and cook through the inside of the patty so it’s not mushy. You can also bake them if you’d like!
Here’s Why You’ll Love this Quinoa Burger
- You don’t need a food processor. It’s all done in one bowl and a handy spoon/fork!
- It’s loaded with protein and fiber, so no excuse for snacking between meals or after dinner!
- It doesn’t fall apart when you’re cooking it
- It’s vegan!
- It’s freezer-friendly
I hope you love this healthy-ish feelgood Quinoa Burger recipe. If you make it, please leave me a comment telling me how you like it, or use hashtag #feelgoodfoodie on Instagram so I can see your recreations.
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Burger buns and toppings of choice
- In a small pot, cook the quinoa with water and add salt to taste. Bring a boil, cover and simmer for 14 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork.
- In a large bowl, add the rinsed black beans and mash the bean fully with a fork or potato masher. Add the cooked quinoa to the black beans, then add the tomato paste, all the seasoning and the breadcrumbs. Form four patties.
- Heat olive oil in a grill pan, place the quinoa burgers in the pan and fry over medium heat for about 4 minutes per side.
- Build a burger with your favorite buns and toppings.
- Recipe adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie
- Nutrition information does not include the bun or the toppings. It’s only for the patty.
- For baking instructions, place the patties on a greased baking dish and bake for 15 minutes at 400°F. Then flip and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- If you prefer not to use quinoa, you can try cooked brown rice instead
- You can substitute other types of beans for the black beans
- Instead of bread crumbs, you can use panko breadcrumbs or all-purpose flour or almond flour. It helps to bind the burger.