This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Get ready for one delicious meat free burger! This tasty vegetarian chickpea burger is filled with Mediterranean flavor and it is so simple and easy to make. Load them up with all your favorite toppings for a yummy bite!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Chickpeas: Drain and rinse the chickpeas well before using. The brine they are in can sometimes be quite salty so rinse them under cold running water.
- Rolled oats: Rolled oats help to absorb moisture and bind the ingredients together. You can use quick oats in a pinch or more flour if you prefer.
- Flour: All purpose flour works best here, but you can use a 1:1 gluten-free flour or almond flour if you have an intolerance. You may need to adjust slightly with grain-free flours to make sure the texture is not too sticky.
- Onions & garlic: For a nice base level flavor. Red onions have a milder taste, but you can use white or yellow especially since they will get cooked.
- Parsley & oregano: For a nice herby freshness. Use fresh parsley and dried oregano but you can substitute with all fresh or all dried of any herbs you have on hand.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: Sundried tomatoes have a great zingy flavor and work so great in these chickpea burgers. Drain them of oil before adding to the patty mixture so they don’t add too much moisture. Keep the oil for frying the burgers or to use in a salad!
- Feta: This Greek cheese adds a slight creaminess and a briny flavor that combines so well with the tangy tomatoes and herbs.
How to make chickpea burgers
- Add the red onion, parsley, garlic and oregano to a food processor.
- Process until finely minced.
- Add the chickpeas, oats, flour, sundried tomatoes and feta cheese. Process until the mixture forms a ball.
- Form 6 medium or 4 large patties with the mixture.
- Place the patties in a hot skillet or grill pan to cook.
- Cook on both sides until golden brown.
Tips for making the recipe
- Don’t over process these patties: As soon as the mixture forms a ball into the food processor, you can remove it. It’s appetizing to see the chunks of feta cheese and sundried tomatoes in there.
- Don’t make the burgers too thick. If you do, the middle of the burgers can be quite mushy after cooking. Each burger is made with around ¼ cup of the chickpea mixture which makes 6 patties.
- Save the juices from the sun-dried tomatoes. While we don’t want to olive oil added to the chickpea patty recipe, you can use it to cook the patties or toss it in your next salad.
- Serve these chickpea burgers with all of your favorite toppings. Try them with lettuce or slaw, guacamole and sliced tomato. Be sure to serve them with a side of French fries too!
Frequently asked questions
Yes! You can make the burger patties a day or two ahead of time and keep them covered in the fridge until you are ready to cook them. The cooked patties will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days, and can be reheated in the oven at 350°F for 10 minutes to warm them through.
If you want to freeze these burgers, it’s best to do them before cooking them. Freeze the patties solid on a baking sheet before transferring to a freezer-safe container. Thaw them in the fridge overnight on a flat plate before cooking as per the recipe.
These chickpea burgers cool so well in a skillet so that the edges get nice and crispy. You can oven bake them if you prefer at 425°F for 15 to 20 minutes, flipping halfway until golden brown and cooked through.
These chickpea burger patties are such a great meat-free alternative and they are so easy to make! Loaded with fresh Mediterranean flavors, they are a perfect addition to your burger night. Don’t forget a side like these crunchy sweet potato chips or roasted vegetables.
More burger recipes:
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Chickpea Burger recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine red onion, parsley, garlic, and oregano until finely minced. Add chickpeas, oats, flour, feta, and sun dried tomatoes until mixture starts to come together into a large ball.
- Using ¼ cup of the chickpea mixture, form patties about ½ inch thick and arrange on a parchment lined sheet pan; it will yield 6 patties.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties in batches and cook until golden brown, 4-5 minutes per side. You may need to add additional oil between batches. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Assemble burgers and serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.