This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This grilled turkey burger is packed with flavor and is perfect for a summer BBQ. The Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, and onion powder give it a delicious smoky flavor that everyone will love. Plus, this recipe is super easy to follow and only requires a few simple ingredients. So fire up the grill and get cooking!
Grilled turkey burgers are a great alternative to traditional beef burgers. They are leaner and healthier, but still packed with flavor. Turkey is really receptive to different seasonings, so feel free to experiment with your favorite spices.
why you’ll love these Grilled Turkey Burgers
- Juicy & tender. These grilled turkey burgers are juicy and tender, thanks to a few simple tips.
- Packed with flavor. The Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, and onion powder give these burgers a delicious smoky flavor that everyone will love.
- Quick & easy. This recipe is super easy to follow and only requires a few simple ingredients.
- Great alternative to beef burgers. If you’re looking for a leaner and healthier alternative to beef burgers, look no further.
Ingredients to make Turkey Burgers
- Ground turkey: I like to use 80-85% lean ground turkey for these burgers. If you like a fattier burger, you can use 75% lean ground turkey.
- Egg: This helps to bind the ingredients together and keeps the burger nice and moist.
- Seasonings: For this recipe, I used Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, fresh garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Avocado oil: Helps keep the turkey burgers from sticking to the grill.
How to make turkey burgers for the grill
While this recipe focuses on grilling turkey burgers, you can also cook them in a skillet on the stove. Just cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
Mix & form Turkey Burger Patties
- In a large bowl, add the egg, garlic, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Mix together until well combined
- Add the ground turkey to the bowl.
- Use your hands to mix until combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 even portions.
- Use your hands to shape them into round patties. Use your thumb to press down in the center of each patty to create an indent.
Grill Turkey Burgers
- Add the turkey burger patties to the oiled grill.
- Cook the burgers, flipping them only once during the cooking process.
Tips for making grilled turkey burgers
- Make sure the ground turkey is not too lean. Ideally, you want it to be 80-85% lean and no more than that so that the turkey does not dry out too much, especially since turkey tends to be a more lean protein.
- Indent the burgers in the center of each patty with your thumb. This will help prevent the burgers from puffing up and bulging in the center. Otherwise, you may notice that the burgers will plump in the center and possibly cook unevenly.
- Do not press/flatten the burgers while they are cooking. This will release all of the juices and make them dry out.
- Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. Ground turkey should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
popular substitutions & additions
- Switch up the spices. If you don’t like Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, or onion powder, feel free to use your favorite spices. Some other great options are cumin, chili powder, or even Greek seasoning.
- Add in some shredded cheese. Mixing in some shredded cheese is always a good idea. I like to use sharp cheddar cheese, but you can use any type of cheese that you like.
- Add in some chopped onions or green peppers. If you want to add some veggies to the burgers, chopped onions and green peppers are a great option. Just mix them into the burger mixture before grilling.
- Use ground chicken instead of turkey. If you’re not a fan of turkey, ground chicken is a great alternative. Just use the same seasonings and cooking instructions.
what to serve with your bbq turkey burgers
- Grilled Onions
- Grilled Tomatoes
- Roasted Garlic Hummus – as a spread
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Lentil Salad
- Red Cabbage Slaw
how to store & reheat turkey burgers
Cooked turkey burgers can be stored in the fridge. To reheat, cook in a skillet over medium heat until warmed through. You can also reheat them in the microwave, but they may not be as juicy.
how long will turkey burgers last in the fridge?
Cooked turkey burgers will last in the fridge for up to four days.
can i freeze turkey burgers?
Yes! You can freeze the turkey patties raw and cooked. They will last around three months in the freezer. When you’re ready to eat them, just thaw them in the fridge and cook as directed.
Frequently asked questions
There are a few things you can do to prevent turkey burgers from falling apart on the grill. First, make sure that the ground turkey is not too lean. You want it to be 80-85% lean and no more than that so that the turkey does not dry out too much. Second, make sure you use an egg to help bind everything together. Lastly, do not press/flatten the burgers while they are cooking. This will release all of the juices and make them dry out and possibly crumble.
Yes, because turkey is poultry, it is important to cook it well done so that it does not transmit any food-borne illness. Ground turkey should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
Yes, you can mix the burger mixture together and form the patties ahead of time and store them in the fridge until you’re ready to cook them. Or you can cook the burgers ahead of time and store them in the fridge for up to four days. You can also freeze the raw patties or cooked burgers and they will last around three months in the freezer.
If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy burger recipe, look no further than this grilled turkey burger with Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, and onion powder. These burgers are packed with flavor and only require a few simple ingredients to make. Plus, they’re a great alternative to beef burgers if you’re looking for something leaner.
More Burger recipes:
- Salsa Black Bean Burger
- Avocado Burger
- Chickpea Burger
- Quinoa Burger
- Lamb Burger
- Salmon Burgers
- Beef Burgers
- Ground Chicken Burgers
If you try this feel good Grilled Turkey Burger recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Grilled Turkey Burgers
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, garlic, italian seasoning, smoked paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper. Add the ground turkey, and use your hands to mix until combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 even portions and use your hands to shape them into round patties, about ¾ inch in thickness. Use your thumb to press down in the center of each patty to create an indent.
- Preheat the grill or grill pan to medium heat and oil the grates or pan. Cook the burgers for about 5 minutes per side until they reach the desired doneness. Serve on a bun with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.