This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Buffalo Chicken Dip is the perfect appetizer that everyone will love. It’s creamy, spicy, and loaded with the perfect balance of shredded chicken and cheese. This simple dip recipe is perfect for the big game, a gathering with friends, or an easy snack for the weekend.
There’s a reason why this is one of my most requested chicken dip recipes. The first bite pulls you in and before you know it, you’ll be scraping the bottom of the dish. This simple cheesy chicken dip with buffalo sauce is one you have to try!
why you’ll love this Spicy Buffalo chicken Dip
- Great way to use up leftover shredded chicken!
- Makes for a fast appetizer that’ll feed a hungry crowd – just mix and bake.
- Hearty and delicious and pairs perfectly with lots of chips, crackers and veggies.
Ingredients to make Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Shredded chicken: Baked or boiled chicken that you shred up is perfect!
- Cream cheese: Make sure it’s at room temperature so that it’s easy to mix and cream with the other ingredients.
- Greek yogurt Perfect for giving that creamy texture without using too much cream cheese for a healthier spin. Just make sure it’s not flavored!
- Hot sauce: I love using Frank’s hot sauce but any type will do. They also have a buffalo sauce, but you can just use hot sauce.
- Shredded cheese Shredded cheddar cheese is so good but this again gives you a ton of options to be creative with the type of cheese you use.
- Seasonings: Garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper are all you need.
How to make buffalo chicken dip
- Add the cream cheese, yogurt, shredded cheese, seasoning and hot sauce to a large bowl.
- Combine well until there are no more streaks of the cream cheese or yogurt.
- Add the shredded chicken to the top of the mixture.
- Combine well again to ensure the shredded chicken is well coated in the buffalo sauce.
- Transfer the mixture to your prepared baking dish and add more shredded cheese on top.
- You’ll know it’s done when the cheese on top starts to turn a golden-brown and is melted.
Tips for making Cream cheese chicken dip
- Use shredded chicken. Seems obvious being in the name, right? But some people try and use cubed chicken instead. It just doesn’t have the same texture that way!
- Spray the pan with a non-stick spray. Even though it’s a dip, it will still stick to the sides and the bottom. The non-stick spray will make for easier clean up.
- Don’t use low fat cream cheese. This generally contains more water than full fat cream cheese, so it may result in a more runny consistency of the buffalo chicken dip when baked. That’s why it’s also important to use full fat greek yogurt.
- Shred your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheese usually contains anti-caking enzymes in it that can also prevent cheese from melting properly. For the ultimately cheesy bite, use a block of cheese.
popular substitutions & additions
- Switch the cheese. You can easily change up the shredded cheese flavor. Pepper jack cheese, Colby cheese, and even shredded mozzarella are all great choices.
- Add onions. I think that adding in chopped onions would be an awesome flavor. They’re a nice crunch for each bite. In that case, you can leave out the onion powder.
what to serve with greek yogurt buffalo chicken dip
how to reheat & store buffalo chicken dip
best way to store the dip
To save this cheesy dip or later, store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Make sure to let it cool down all the way before doing so.
how long will the chicken dip last in the fridge?
As long as you keep it stored properly, this should last for 2-3 days.
can i freeze this chicken and cheese dip?
This is best eaten fresh. With the main ingredients having dairy in them, the texture of the dip remains creamiest when it’s made and eaten fresh.
how to reheat buffalo chicken dip
To reheat this chicken dip with cream cheese recipe, you can heat it low and slow in the oven or add it to the microwave for a quick burst of heat.
Frequently asked questions
If you have standing grease on top of the dip, this may mean that you didn’t quite stir everything together enough.
You can but I’ve never tried it and much prefer the texture of shredded chicken. Keep in mind that most canned chicken isn’t shredded. Using canned chicken is a simple and fast way to make this dip. Just be sure to drain off any of the extra liquid.
Sriracha sauce is also a great way to add some heat to this recipe! Just a little bit goes a long way so be ready!
This buffalo chicken dip with greek yogurt is such a fast and easy recipe. It’s loaded down with cheesy goodness, paired with chicken and spice. Whip up this easy game day appetizer and be sure to check out more easy game day snacks.
More recipes for the big game:
- Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- Cream Cheese Spinach Dip
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Bell Pepper Nachos
- Bean and Cheese Quesadillas
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray an oven-safe baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, greek yogurt, hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and ½ cup of the shredded cheddar cheese. Add the chicken on top and mix well to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top. Bake until cheese is melty and the mixture is golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
- Sprinkle the green onions on top. Serve immediately with celery, carrots and tortilla chips.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.