Check out this vegetarian healthy-ish Buffalo Cauliflower Bites made with a few simple ingredients and paired with ranch dressing - perfect for game day!
If you’re looking for a healthy low-carb game day snack to add to your spread for Super Bowl Sunday, make these delicious oven baked Buffalo Cauliflower Bites. No, they don’t taste like chicken wings. But they are definitely healthier and just as spicy and delicious! It’s a really easy recipe to make with simple ingredients that will wow your friends!
Healthy cauliflower bites
There are many variations of these cauliflower wings. I make mine healthier by using water instead of milk for the batter, making my own buffalo sauce (less fat that way), and using less batter to coat the cauliflower. They come out of the oven super hot and crispy, and pair so well with the cool and creamy ranch dressing. It’s an easy crowd-pleasing appetizer or delicious snack!
How to make buffalo Cauliflower Bites
There are two main parts to make these buffalo cauliflower wings. First is the batter to coat and crisp the cauliflower. And second is the buffalo sauce that will bind to the batter and flavor the cauliflower.
Step 1: Make the batter. It’s equal parts flour and water and whatever spices you want. I like to keep the spices simple and use paprika and garlic powder. Many recipes will use 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of water. But I found that was too much flour for 1 head of cauliflower. So I only use 1/2 a cup and it keeps this recipe low-carb. The mixture consistency will be pretty thick and almost like a paste. If you prefer to add a splash more water, that’s fine too.
Step 2: Coat the cauliflower with the batter. You can throw the cauliflower right in the bowl, or you can shake it up in a plastic bag. Just make sure it’s well coated and then you can transfer it to a baking dish. If you notice that the batter is rather runny, you can use a colander to drain any extra liquid from the cauliflower before transferring it to a baking dish.
This step helps to make sure the baked cauliflower is not soggy.
When they come out of the oven, they will be crispy and you can basically enjoy them as is. But we’re making cauliflower buffalo wings over here! So time for the buffalo sauce. Buffalo sauce is basically hot sauce and butter. Generally it’s 2 parts hot sauce to 1 part butter, which is what makes them so irresistible and yummy. To make it healthier, I make my own buffalo sauce with a lot less butter. I also add some lemon juice to give it a fresh zing.
Step 3: Spread the buffalo sauce over the cauliflower and bake it again. You want to make sure the buffalo sauce is adhered to the cauliflower, and then that it’s crunchy and golden in color. And then it’s ready!
I love how easy these buffalo cauliflower bites are to make! They are a healthy vegetarian alternative to traditional buffalo wings. I’ve been obsessed with cauliflower for low-carb everything lately. Is there anything cauliflower can’t do?! And now they strike again for the ultimate game day snack!
Tips for making buffalo cauliflower bites
- Cut the florets large. They should be about half the size of traditional chicken wings but still bite-sized. If you cut them too small, they end up becoming mushy and won’t crisp up as nicely when you bake them in the oven.
- Use a colander to drain the cauliflower after coating it with batter. Although this step is not crucial, it really helps to add just enough batter to coat the cauliflower without too much that it’s smothered in the flour/water mixture. Again, this tip is all about getting that perfectly crispy texture on the outside.
- Bake the cauliflower on parchment paper. You can also coat a cookie sheet with even oil so the batter doesn’t stick. Parchment paper is great for an easy clean-up, no sticking and less oil. Sometimes the batter might still stick to the parchment paper, so be sure to flip them halfway through for even crispness.
- Bake right before serving. As wonderful and crispy as these are straight out of the oven, they do soften up when they start cooling and especially by the next day. So enjoy them fresh out of the oven for the best taste and texture!
Frequently Asked Questions
Are baked cauliflower buffalo bites healthy?
Not all cauliflower bites are made equally, a lot of recipes require you to deep fry them or are made with a sauce with a lot of added salt and sugar. However, my recipe is a healthier version! Each serving comes in under 130 calories and they are low in fat and sugar.
What do you serve with buffalo cauliflower?
I love serving my healthy buffalo bites in the same way you would serve wings; with celery, carrot and ranch dressing. To keep things healthy, serve them with my Homemade Healthy Ranch Dip or my Easy Vegan Cheese Dip.
What are the benefits of eating cauliflower?
Cauliflower is a great food to incorporate into your diet! It is naturally high in fiber, B vitamins and antioxidants. It can help prevent heart disease and is shown to decrease the risk of obesity. Not to mention, it is great for your digestive system, circulation and can even improve sleep!
More Healthy Game Day Snack Recipes
- Cauliflower Fritters
- Simple Guacamole
- Skinny Spinach Dip
- Bean and Cheese Quesadillas
- Pizza Quinoa Bites
- Cucumber Sushi
I love this healthy game day option that’s baked and not fried. These spicy buffalo cauliflower bites are battered and baked to perfection in the oven with a small amount of butter. They are big on flavor and won’t disappoint your guests for snacking while watching the game.
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Buffalo Cauliflower Bites recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- 1 large head of cauliflower cut into florets
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Ranch or blue cheese dressing for serving
- Carrots and celery sticks for serving
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Grease a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, water, garlic powder and paprika in a bowl until batter is smooth. Add cauliflower to batter and toss to coat.
- Spread cauliflower onto the baking sheet in a single layer, season with salt and pepper. Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes, flipping over halfway through for even baking.
- In another small bowl, whisk hot sauce, melted butter and lemon juice until well combined. Brush the buffalo sauce mixture on the cauliflower.
- Return to the oven and bake until they start to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with ranch dressing, celery and carrots, if desired
- To make it gluten-free, you can substitute almond flour or another gluten-free flour 1:1 ratio. You can also use corn starch. This just helps to create a crispy texture and bind the buffalo sauce to the cauliflower bites
- To make it vegan, replace the butter for vegan butter or olive oil. You can also buy a vegan pre-made buffalo sauce
- To add your own unique flavor, you can switch out the garlic powder and paprika for other spices you prefer.