These Bean and Cheese Quesadillas are so easy to throw together. They're made with beans, cheese and mini wontons for a cheesy game day snack or appetizer!
What happens when you’re a busy mom on the weekend, the kids are craving quesadillas and there are zero tortillas in your fridge? You accidentally stumble upon Bean and Cheese Quesadillas. Thank goodness for wontons!! Yup I used wontons instead of quesadillas and it worked perfectly!
This recipe is literally just refried beans with cheese stuffed in a mini cute and tiny wonton because I ran out of tortillas and the nearest grocery store from my house is 12 minutes away. I’ve gotta say, sometimes out of desperation, we come up with the best ideas!
How to make bean and cheese quesadillas
For the refried beans, I buy plain vegetarian organic ones but I like to spice them up by adding some ground cumin and fresh cilantro. I also mix in some cheese into the beans so its well incorporated for a *perfectly cheesy bites* – cooking goals, right?!
Then you can either bake these bean and cheese wonton quesadillas or lightly fry them with a touch of olive oil for about 2 minutes per side. I tried both methods.
Although I’m always a fan of baking over frying, I liked the consistency of these fried better. They just get that crispy layer on the outside that makes them so appetizing with barely any oil!
This recipe is perfect for parties, and especially for game day snacks. And what’s great i that they’re loved by adults and kids!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Bean and Cheese Quesadillas recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
For more game day snacks:
Bean and Cheese Quesadillas
- 8 oz vegetarian refried beans
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro plus more for serving
- 12 round wonton wrappers
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salsa for serving
- In small bowl, mix beans, cumin and chili powder, then stir in the cheese.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of the bean and cheese mixture over half of each wrapper. Add the fresh cilantro on top.
- Fold the wonton over the filling to create a half-circle shape; do not seal tight.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the quesadillas to the skillet without overlapping them, cook uncovered 1 to 2 minutes per side until the cheese melts and the wonton becomes crispy.
- Serve immediately with cilantro and salsa, if desired.