This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This homemade shrimp and avocado salsa is a flavorful, protein-rich play on avocado salad full of perfectly seasoned shrimp, creamy avocado, zesty onion, fresh cilantro, and tangy lime all blended together in one healthy, easy-to-make dish!
Looking for a delicious and healthy appetizer or main course? Look no further than this shrimp and avocado salsa recipe! The shrimp is cooked in old bay seasoning, giving it a delicious flavor that pairs perfectly with the chunky guacamole salad. This recipe is perfect for any occasion, and can be easily tailored to fit your dietary needs. So what are you waiting for? Try out this amazing shrimp and avocado salsa recipe today!
why you’ll love this shrimp and avocado appetizer
- Full of flavor. If you love guacamole, you’ll love this shrimp and avocado salsa recipe! The old bay seasoning gives the shrimp a delicious flavor that pairs perfectly with the creamy avocado and fresh cilantro.
- Healthy and nutritious. Avocados are a great source of healthy fats, fiber, and vitamins, and shrimp is a lean protein that’s packed with nutrients. This dish is perfect for anyone looking for a healthy and delicious meal option.
- Easy to make. This recipe is easy to follow and can be easily tailored to fit your dietary needs. Whether you’re gluten-free, dairy-free, or Paleo, this dish can be modified to fit your lifestyle.
- Perfect for parties. Shrimp and avocado salsa is perfect for parties or gatherings. It can be served as an appetizer or main course, and is sure to be a hit with your guests!
Ingredients to make Avocado Shrimp Salsa
- Shrimp: Fresh or frozen shrimp both work well for this recipe. If using frozen shrimp, be sure to thaw completely before cooking.
- Old bay seasoning: Adds delicious flavor to the shrimp.
- Avocado: Use ripe, but not too ripe avocados for this recipe. You want them to be firm enough to dice, but soft enough that they’re easy to chew.
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro is a must for this recipe! It adds a bright, fresh flavor that pairs perfectly with the other ingredients.
- Lime: Fresh lime juice adds a tart and tangy flavor to the dish.
- Red onion: Diced red onion adds a bit of sweetness and crunch to the salsa.
- Garlic: Minced garlic is a great way to add flavor without being overpowering.
- Tomatoes: Diced tomatoes add sweetness, acidity, and texture to the dish.
How to make Avocado Shrimp Salsa
- Bring a large pot of water and old bay seasoning to a boil. Lower the heat, and add the shrimp.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the shrimp becomes bright pink and curls.
- Strain and transfer a bowl of ice water to immediately stop the cooking.
- Drain and transfer the cooked shrimp to a cutting board, then chop it into smaller pieces.
- Add the shrimp, avocados, tomatoes, red onions, cilantro, lime juice, and garlic.
- Mix everything together, taste, and adjust the salt and pepper, if desired.
Tips for making shrimp guacamole salad
- Finely chop all the ingredients. This allows the flavors of the salsa to really distribute well and makes the most well-rounded bites of salsa full of all the ingredients.
- Do not overmix! Once all the ingredients are added to the bowl, give it a good stir until everything is evenly mixed. But be careful not to overmix, or the avocado will start to get mushy.
- Serve immediately. This dish is best served immediately after it’s made. This is one case where it doesn’t get better with time due to the avocados. If you need to make it ahead of time, add the avocado right before serving.
popular substitutions & additions
- Swap the shrimp out. You can use tuna or even salmon in this recipe if you’re not a fan of shrimp. Just be sure to cook the fish to your desired doneness before adding it to the salsa.
- Add in some diced jalapeño. If you like things spicy, add in some diced jalapeño for an extra kick of heat.
- Try different herbs. If you’re not a fan of cilantro, you can use parsley or basil instead.
- Make it your own! This recipe is easily adaptable to fit your taste. So feel free to add in or swap out any ingredients that you don’t like or have on hand.
what to serve with your shrimp salsa
how to store shrimp and avocado salad
This dish is best served immediately after it’s made. If you need to make it ahead of time, add the avocado right before serving. Once the avocado is added, the salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
How long will shrimp salsa last in the fridge?
The lime will help keep the avocado from browning, but this dish is best enjoyed within a day or two. After that, the avocado will start to brown, and the texture will change.
Frequently asked questions
No, avocado salsa is not the same as guacamole. Guacamole is typically made with mashed avocados, while avocado salsa is made with diced avocados. Guacamole also usually has lime juice, salt, and pepper, while avocado salsa can have a variety of different ingredients like tomatoes, onions, and cilantro.
Yes, this recipe can easily be made vegan by simply leaving out the shrimp.
The best chips to serve with avocado salsa are either tortilla chips or pita chips.
When it comes to healthy and delicious recipes, this shrimp and avocado salsa is a winner! This dish is perfect for anyone looking for a nutritious meal option that is easy to make and can be tailored to fit your dietary needs. Whether you’re gluten-free, dairy-free, or Paleo, this dish can be modified to fit your lifestyle. Perfect for parties, this shrimp and avocado salsa recipe is sure to be a hit with your guests! Serve as an appetizer or main course.
More salsa recipes:
- Fresh Salsa Recipe
- Corn Salsa
- Black Bean Salsa
- Salsa Black Bean Burger
- Grilled Salmon with Citrus Salsa
- Grilled Mahi Mahi with Avocado Salsa
If you try this feel good Avocado Shrimp Salsa recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
This Avocado Shrimp Salsa recipe was originally published on January 8, 2018. The recipe has been slightly modified and it no longer includes black beans. The post now includes new step-by-step photos for how to make the salsa recipe.
Avocado Shrimp Salsa
- 1 pound raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup old bay seasoning
- 2 avocados diced
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1 small red onion diced
- ½ cup cilantro chopped, packed
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Bring a large pot of water and old bay seasoning to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to a low, add the shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes until the shrimp become bright pink and curl. Strain and transfer a bowl of ice water to immediately stop the cooking.
- Drain and transfer the cooked shrimp to a cutting board, then chop into smaller pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the avocados, tomatoes, red onions, cilantro, lime juice and garlic. Taste and adjust to taste by adding more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve cold with tortilla chips.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.