Mediterranean Tomato Brown Rice PilafJump To Recipe
- Serves: 4
Rice is one of the favorite side dish hero, and this vegan Mediterranean Tomato Brown Rice Pilaf is no exception. It's simple, satisfying & so easy to make!
- Author: Yumna Jawad
Mediterranean Tomato Brown Rice Pilaf
Mediterranean cuisine is fabulous — it incorporates all of the right things to make a body feel good and the flavors are ah-mazing!
A traditional grain like rice can wear so many hats, it can be the main dish, side dish, turned into a dessert, even pressed for milk. For dinner though, it’s definitely one of my favorite side dish heroes. I grew up eating this tomato rice pilaf and still love it!
More often than not, white rice undergoes a refining process that actually strips the grain of it’s inherent goodness. The manufacturers then “enrich” it with synthetic vitamins that don’t quite cut it. Brown rice has a better nutritional profile, including selenium and manganese, and it doesn’t lost those nutrients before it hits your dinner plate.
For this Mediterranean pilaf, I add basil, sauteed onions, and tomatoes — yum! It’s so simple you’re going to end up making it aaalll the time (which will most likely be A-OK in your fam’s book!)
Try it, Love it, Share it!
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, small diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 large tomatoes, small diced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh basil for garnish
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the olive oil, and sauté onions with salt and pepper until translucent.
- Add the tomato paste and the small diced tomatoes and mix until the tomatoes break up somewhat.
- Mix in the brown rice and incorporate everything well together, then add 1 1/2 cup boiling water.
- Simmer on low for 45 minutes until water is all absorbed and the rice is soft
- Serve as a side dish topped with fresh basil