This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Add some fun to your table this Halloween with a spooky mummy pizza! These handheld pizzas are made with ciabatta bread are so easy to make with just 5 ingredients and a ready to to enjoy in minutes! Your kids will love these!
Ingredients & substitutions
- Bread: Ciabatta rolls are perfect for these handheld pizzas. They have a crispy crust and soft pillowy middle so they are easy to pick up and hold their shape. A French loaf also works well.
- Pizza sauce: Use your favorite brand of pizza sauce to spread on the bread before adding the toppings. Marinara sauce will also work well if you have that to hand.
- Zucchini: The zucchini is peeled into ribbons and placed on top of the sauce to replicate Mummy bandages. Other ribboned vegetables like asparagus would also work well.
- Cheese: Mozzarella string cheese is laid on top of the zucchini for more Mummy bandages, and you get those delicious cheese pulls when you take a bite.
- Black olives: We finish our Halloween Mummy pizzas with sliced black olives for your Mummy eyes.
How to make mummy pizzas
- Cut the ciabatta rolls in half and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Spread the bread with pizza sauce.
- Place the zucchini ribbons on top of the pizza sauce.
- Top with cheese and black olives and bake til the cheese is melted.
Tips for making the pizzas
- Pick bread for scale with the olives. While ciabatta works really well for the recipe, you can also use French bread, baguette or even bagels! Just make sure the bread can be handheld and proportional.
- Switch out the veggies. Adding the zucchini ribbons is a great way to sneak in more vegetables for kids especially since they have a pretty neutral taste. But you can also try eggplant, peppers, carrots or beets!
- Don’t go too crazy on the cheese. You want the Mummy bandages to have some definition when they melt, so criss cross them leaving some space in between each piece.
- Get your kids to help! These Mummy pizzas are so simple and easy to make, and younger kids will love to help you make them. This is a great recipe to get your kids into the kitchen and have fun!
Frequently asked questions
This Mummy pizza recipe is best served as soon as it’s made, though leftovers will keep well in the fridge for a couple of days and can be reheated in the oven. You can prep them an hour or so before you want to bake them, but don’t make them too far ahead of time or the bread can start to get a little soggy.
If you have a dairy-free or plant based diet, then Daiya make a vegan friendly mozzarella cheese string that can be used – we haven’t tried this yet, but are sure it would turn out great.
This spooky Mummy pizza recipe is a quick, easy and fun recipe to serve up this Halloween. Whether you are hosting a party or enjoying a cosy family night in, this will be a hit with kids of all ages!
More halloween recipes:
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Mummy Pizza recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
- 2 ciabatta rolls
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 zucchini
- 4 mozzarella string cheese
- 8 black olives slices
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut the ciabatta bread in half lengthwise. Use a vegetable peeler to peel the zucchini into thin ribbon slices. Pull cheese into thin strips.
- Place the bread on a baking sheet. Spread the pizza sauce on top of the bread. Lay zucchini ribbons across the bread at random criss-cross patterns to mimic mummy bandages. Lay the cheese across the zucchini at different angles. Place two slices of olives on each slice of bread to make the eyes.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted, 8-10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.