This Tex Mex Breakfast Bowl is a delicious, easy, protein-packed meal with a spicy Southwestern sweet and smoky taste and topped with fresh salsa & avocados
This Tex Mex Breakfast Bowl recipe is sponsored by BUSH’S® Beans. I received compensation, but as always, the content represents my own personal opinion and experience 🙂
Weekend mornings are for breaking my oatmeal breakfast routine, and having more fun in the kitchen. I get the kids involved in the prep and rotate between pancakes, French toast, and lots of egg dishes. A fun new way we’ve been serving eggs is in bowls, like this Tex Mex Breakfast Bowl, made with eggs, sweet potatoes and pinto beans.
This Tex Mex breakfast bowl is a vibrant, vitamin-packed breakfast of champions. It’s made with very simple affordable ingredients, but delivers a high-protein, low-carb delicious meal!
Ingredients to make Tex Mex breakfast bowl
The goal is a hearty, warm breakfast bowl. My favorite way to do that? Sweet potatoes and pinto beans! I cook the sweet potatoes on the stovetop with onions, and then warm the beans in the same skillet. You can use any type of beans and season them to your taste.
For this recipe, I used BUSH’s Southwestern Style Pinto Beans™️. It adds a sweet and smoky taste with just the right amount of kick from the Mexican style seasoning and the red chile sauce. If you haven’t tried the BUSH’s Savory®️ beans, they’re great for easily and instantly adding flavor to your breakfast or any meal.
The next hero ingredient is the eggs. You can fry, scramble or poach the eggs. And finally, you can add any other Mexican style toppings. I love adding pico de gallo, avocados and fresh cilantro. But the topping options are really endless.
How to make Tex Mex breakfast bowl
- Start by cooking the sweet potatoes on the stovetop with onions, salt, pepper and chili powder. If you prefer to roast the sweet potatoes for a more hands-off approach, roast them at 400°F for about 20 minutes.
- When the potatoes are done, divide them into two bowls. I like to assemble as I go! Then use the same skillet to heat the pinto beans, and divide those into the two bowls on the side of the sweet potatoes.
- Now you can use the same skillet, wipe it down and cook the eggs sunny side up. The eggs will go on top of the sweet potatoes and beans.
- Finally, it’s time to jazz it up with some avocado slices, pico de gallo and fresh cilantro. A little squeeze of hot sauce and another squeeze of lime juice really rounds out the flavor of these breakfast bowls!
What to add to breakfast bowls
- Cooked grains: If you want to make the meal more hearty, try adding some brown rice, quinoa and other grains like faro! They will bulk up the bowls and add fiber to the meal.
- Ground beef, turkey or chicken: For more added protein, cook some ground beef, turkey or chicken in the pan and mix it in with the BUSH’s Southwestern Style Pinto Beans™️. I especially love this addition if you’re making these bowls for lunch or dinner!
- More vegetables: These breakfast bowls are such a creative way to load up on vegetables for the day. It’s easy to incorporate vegetables like bell peppers, corn, zucchini or squash to the meal and sauté them with the beans. You can also add some greens like kale or spinach, or raw vegetables on top like tomatoes, red onions or scallions.
- Cheese: Crumbled cotija cheese, shredded cheddar cheese or a Mexican blend of shredded cheese all work with this recipe.
There’s something so cozy about eating a meal out of bowl. And this Tex Mex breakfast bowl is no exception. It’s warm, hearty and filling – a flavorful nutritious breakfast that’s perfect for the weekend! I hope you start your day on a warm note, and try this breakfast bowl recipe idea!
For more breakfast bowls, check out:
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Tex Mex Breakfast Bowl recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Tex Mex Breakfast Bowl
- 1 small onion small diced
- 1 medium sweet potato small diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can BUSH’S Southwestern Style Pinto Beans™
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup pico de gallo
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- Fresh cilantro for serving
- Hot sauce for serving
- Lime wedges for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sweet potatoes. Season with salt, pepper and chili powder. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions start to caramelize, and the sweet potatoes soften, about 10-15 minutes. (Alternatively, roast the mixture in a 400°F oven until tender, about 20 minutes). Divide mixture into two bowls.
- Heat the southwestern style pinto beans using the same skillet. Divide into two bowls on the side of the sweet potatoes mixture.
- Wipe down the same skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat, and cook two eggs sunny side up. (Alternatively, you could scramble, poach or cook the eggs over easy). Top each bowl with one egg.
- Top the breakfast bowls with pico de gallo, avocado slices and fresh cilantro. Add hot sauce, and squeeze lime juice on top, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Instead of sweet potatoes, you can use regular potatoes or other vegetables like carrots, parsnips, cauliflower or squash.
- Instead of pinto beans, you can use black beans, kidney beans or white beans.