This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Eggs are so versatile. Even when you think about just using them for breakfast, there are countless ways to prepare them. And that is admittedly why I’m borderline obsessed with having eggs for breakfast like 4 times a week! One of my favorite new ways to enjoy it is this low carb egg wrap!
This is an egg recipe inspired by a Lebanese style omelette called “ejjeh.”
What do you need to make low carb egg wrap
- Eggs: This is necessary to make the low carb egg wrap and there’s no substitutes for it. For one serving, you’ll need 2 eggs. Feel free to double, or triple the recipe. However, you’ll need to fry each serving on its own.
- Flour: You only need one teaspoon and it’s optional. But if you whisk the flour with the beaten egg mixture, it gives it a bit more substance. And it also changes the consistency to mimic a (bright and yellow!) tortilla.
- Vegetables (and meat): This is the fun part where you can add whatever ingredients you’d like inside the egg wrap. I recommend using some type of leafy greens like arugula, spinach or kale. Then you can add tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, zucchini or even cooked potatoes. You can also add turkey bacon or breakfast sausage or cold cuts like turkey in here.
- Spread/Sauce: To keep this a healthy, I mash avocado and spread it on the inside of the egg wrap. You’ll need to use something to make sure that the vegetables stick to the eggs. You can also add some mayonnaise, cream cheese or yogurt.
- Cheese: For a mediterranean vibe, I use crumbled feta cheese, but any type of cheese works like mozzarella, fontina, havarti or gouda.
How do you make an egg wrap
In the version of ejjeh my mom makes, she whisks together eggs with a touch of flour to make a thin crepe-like omelette. Then carefully pour the eggs onto a non-stick pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on both sides until the eggs are no longer runny.
In my mom’s version, she adds mashed potatoes on top, flavored with garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Instead of mashed potatoes, I stuff it with mashed avocado! And then on top of that, I throw in whatever vegetables I have on hand.
Here I use arugula, slices of tomatoes and crumbled feta cheese.
Wrap up that egg wrap and it basically looks like a tortilla full of green yumminess on the inside. I love how customizable this recipe is, how versatile it is to your taste buds and how healthy it is to kick off your morning!
More low carb egg recipes:
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Low Carb Egg Wrap recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Low Carb Egg Wrap
- In a medium bowl, place the eggs, water, flour, salt and pepper; and whisk until broken up and the flour is completely dissolved.
- Heat the olive oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium. Transfer the egg mixture into the pan and spread it out evenly on the pan.
- Cook for about 3 minutes until the egg is completely set, breaking up any air bubbles that form. Carefully flip the egg over to the other side and cook for 1 more minute.
- Slide the cooked egg onto a plate.
- To make the mashed avocado spread, combine the avocado, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and salt/pepper in a small bowl and mix well to combine.
- Spread the mashed avocado over the entire egg wrap, top it with arugula or spinach, add sliced tomatoes and feta cheese (if desired.) Roll it up tightly and then slice in half. Enjoy immediately!
- Instead of all purpose flour, you can use any gluten-free flour mix.
- Feel free to add any vegetables, meat or cheese you’d like.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.