This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These savory roasted sweet potato cubes are sure to please! They are made with diced sweet potatoes, olive oil, paprika salt, and pepper. They are simple to make, and taste great with just about any main course. Roasting them in the oven brings out their natural sweetness while the salt, pepper, and paprika add a savory touch. Plus, they are packed with nutrients and antioxidants it’s a win-win root veggie dish!
Diced, oven-roasted sweet potatoes are, without a doubt, one of our family’s favorites! Anytime I’m roasting some type of protein in the oven, I find myself roasting some sweet potatoes to go with them because my kids devour them. They make us feel full, and I feel like sweet potatoes last forever in my pantry, so I always have them on hand. You really can’t go wrong with this healthy and delicious side dish!
why you’ll love these savory roasted sweet potatoes
- Easy to make. As far as sides go, this one is about as easy as it gets. Just dice up some sweet potatoes, toss them in olive oil and your favorite spices, and roast!
- They go with everything. Seriously, these roasted sweet potatoes are the perfect side to just about any main course. We’ve served them with grilled chicken, baked salmon, steak, and even lamb chops.
- Can be made ahead. Did someone say meal prep? Roasted sweet potatoes are the perfect lunch box addition, and they heat up beautifully. I like to make a big batch on the weekend and then pack them into individual containers for easy weekday lunches.
- They’re healthy! Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamins A and C, fiber, potassium, and manganese. So go ahead and enjoy another helping of roasted sweet potatoes guilt-free!
- Loved by kids and adults. It’s rare I meet a person who doesn’t like roasted sweet potatoes. My kids request them all the time, and my husband practically inhales them.
Ingredients to make roasted sweet potato cubes
- Sweet potatoes: You’ll want to use good-sized sweet potatoes for this recipe. I find that the ones that are about the size of my fist work well. Here’s a quick tutorial on how to cut sweet potatoes.
- Olive oil: This is for coating the sweet potato cubes. You could also use avocado oil or melted coconut oil.
- Paprika, salt, and pepper: These are my go-to spices for roasted sweet potatoes, but feel free to get creative and use your favorite spices.
How to make oven-roasted sweet potatoes
- Add the sweet potatoes to the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with paprika, salt, and pepper. Toss the sweet potatoes to make sure they are well coated, and then arrange in a single layer.
- Roast, flipping halfway through, until the sweet potatoes are knife tender.
Tips for making roasted diced sweet potatoes
- Use parchment paper. Because sweet potatoes can get caramelized when roasted in the oven, they can stick to your baking sheet and create quite a mess. Using parchment paper makes clean-up a breeze!
- Don’t overcrowd the potatoes. You should be able to fit 4 large-sized sweet potatoes cut up into cubes on a standard large baking sheet in a single layer. The further apart they are, though, the more likely they are to get crisp.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into even cubes. This helps them cook evenly and prevents some from being overcooked while others are still raw.
- Don’t forget to season! One of the keys to making these roasted sweet potatoes extra delicious is to make sure they are well-seasoned.
- Use a sharp knife. Sweet potatoes can be a headache to cut, especially if they are extra firm. By using a sharp knife, you will not only have an easier time, but reduce the risk of cutting yourself in the process of cubing them into chunks.
popular substitutions & additions
- Add fresh herbs. Rosemary, sage, and thyme all pair well with sweet potatoes.
- Try different spices. Cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, and garlic all make great additions to roasted sweet potatoes.
- Add some heat. For a little bit of spice, add in a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
- Make them sweeter. If you want to make these roasted sweet potatoes more on the dessert side, add a touch of maple syrup.
what to serve with roasted sweet potatoes
how to store & reheat Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Leftover roasted sweet potatoes can be stored in an airtight container.
Reheat sweet potatoes on a baking sheet in a 350-degree oven until warmed through, about 15 minutes. Alternatively, you can reheat them in the microwave. Simply place them on a plate and microwave for 30-60 seconds, or until heated through.
how long will Roasted Sweet Potatoes last in the fridge?
Properly stored, roasted sweet potatoes will last for up to four days in the fridge.
can I freeze Roasted Sweet Potatoes?
Yes! Roasted sweet potatoes can be frozen. Simply place them in an airtight container and store them in the freezer for up to four months. When you’re ready to eat them, thaw them overnight in the fridge and then reheat them as desired.
Frequently asked questions
No, you can leave the skin on if you’d like. I personally prefer to peel them because I find that the texture of the skins can be a bit tough when they are roasted.
Yes, you can use Yukon gold potatoes or red potatoes in this recipe. They, of course, won’t have that natural sweetness but still, work well as a savory potato side dish.
If you don’t have parchment paper, you can use a silicone baking mat or lightly grease your baking sheet with cooking spray.
This easy, savory roasted sweet potato recipe is a delicious and healthy side dish that everyone will love. The best part is that it’s incredibly versatile and can be paired with practically any main course. So, whether you’re looking for an easy weeknight meal or something special to serve at your next dinner party, these oven-roasted sweet potatoes are sure to please!
More Sweet Potato recipes:
- Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Toast with Fried Eggs
- Sweet Potato Bites with Marshmallows
- Sweet Potato Waffles
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Sweet Potato Chili
If you try this feel good Roasted Sweet Potatoes recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with paprika, salt and pepper. Toss the sweet potatoes to make sure they are well coated and then arrange in a single layer.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the sweet potatoes are knife tender.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.